Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a very pot bellied pig. Her stool was black on

Customer Question

I have a very young pot bellied pig. Her stool was black on Monday. She now has diarrhea and is a bit lethargic. I read online that she likely has e-Coli in her gut and needs an antibiotic such as amoxicillin. What would be the dose for this tiny piglet; roughly a pound?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if you see any more black stools (a sign of stomach bleeding) or pale gums, then will need Precious seen by her local vet urgently as she may have a stomach ulcer. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question about treating E.coli diarrhea, when dosing piglets with Amoxicillin, she would need a dose of 40 mg amoxicillin every 12 hours. Further to that, you will want to keep up her frequent feedings, keep her warm, and consider treating with Kaolin (from the pharmacy or farm supply store) to slow her loose stool. Of course, any more black stool, blood in her feces, or if she doesn't respond to the above; and we'd want to have her checked +/- a stool sample tested to pinpoint the trigger for her signs so that we can ensure we are addressing them as effectively as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )