Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a sick goat and he's not eating, but drinking water.

Customer Question

I have a sick goat and he's not eating, but drinking water. He might have eaten a plastic bag, but not sure. He's just not himself, Hes a 3 yr old drarf nigerian wither
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to tell what may be the problem with your guy. Try to get a rectal thermometer to take his temperature..anything over 104 is telling you this is a fever and he may need antibiotics. The farm supply will have Penicillin G and you would give 1 cc per 10 pounds of his weight every 12 hrs. Also, aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs can help decrease the fever.

If this is a digestive issue such as a plastic bag, you will have to dose him with Mineral oil at 10 to 20 cc every 6-8 hrs to help move things through his tract and neutralize the gas producing bacteria.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****