Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

We bought a lamb from a backyard breeder. Before releasing m

Customer Question
We bought a lamb from...
We bought a lamb from a backyard breeder. Before releasing him to us e
He clipped his hoofs with a scissor and in between them as well. He rubbed salt into it and gave him a 5 in 1 shot and handed him over.
Two weeks later the little guy is hobbling around and now not eating. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
8/23/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Was there any damage after clipping?
Does he seem sore in his feet or stiff in his joints?
Any swelling in knees? Any reduction in flexion/extension in his joints?
Any fever?
Hello Dr B
I'm not sure if you received my reply to your questions because my iPad shut down last night but it will try again. The lambs one sore foot seems to effect his walking- he is limping. He is being treated with Dettol only. He is not eating. I will check if his joints are swollen and report back to you but how can I check his temperature?Thank you. I look forward to your reply,Rick
Hello?
Thank you,
This was the first reply I have received from you. In any case, I now have it and will respond with my thoughts after my rounds.
Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.
Hi again Rick,
Were you able to check those joints? What did you find?
In regards ***** ***** this just needs to be taken rectally using a normal OTC thermometer. So, if you can do that that would be grand.
Finally, if the foot is suspect here, can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
CountryDoc
CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian