Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

What w poo held cause a cow to drink excessive water three

Customer Question

What w poo held cause a cow to drink excessive water for about three days on the fourth day she was coughing and today-the fifth day she is laying down and has green mucous running out her nose
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
In regards ***** ***** question, her signs do fit with a range of issues. Now while we can see primary diseases that cause increased thirst and immunosuppression that then allows secondary infections; we'd be more concerned at her age that this is a respiratory based issue where the inflammation of the disease has caused increased water intake.
With that in mind, our major concerns would be viral, bacterial, and potentially fungal lung disease. Since she has green nasal discharge, we do know that there are bacteria involved but it is possible that they are present due to a virus initiating her signs. In regards ***** ***** viral concerns for this, we'd have to be wary of coronavirus, bovine respiratory syncytial virus, infectious bovine rhinotracheitis, malignant catarrhal fever, and bovine herpes virus. As for bacteria that could cause all of this on their own or as a secondary, there are a wide range but the most common are Pasteurella and Mannheimia species.
So, these would be our concerns for what you are seeing. If you have not already, this heifer should be isolated from any common herd airspace. This will just decrease any further risk of spread. Otherwise, she needs to be started on a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Oxytetracycline, Naxcel, Draxxin, etc) +/- decongestants (ie Bisolvin) to help clear the bacterial portion of her signs and help her recover.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )