Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

This is to a previous question. After your answer I took

Customer Question
This is a follow up...
This is a follow up to a previous question. After your answer I took your advice and took a stool sample from one of my Nuebians and he confirmed it was a worm load. Recommended giving them safeguard each week for 4 weeks. During that time, I lost 10 goats.
After giving them the doses, I continued losing three more goats. I belong to the WSU FORUM. the advice I received from them was to treat for hookworms by giving them three doses of safeguard for three days in a row and do it again in one month. Since that
treatment, I have not lost any other goats but have an adult female that is showing the same symptoms as the ones that died. She looks like she is starving to death. Please help. Ken
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
8/16/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Hi Ken:
I am so extremely sorry to hear about the loss of your goats. This is indeed an unfortunate situation, and saddens my heart. Ten goats is a lot...
One of the problems that must be considered when de-worming animals that have an especially large worm load, is that as the worms die off, they release toxins into the body, or another scenario is that when the worms die they can literally cause an intestinal obstruction if the numbers are hugh enough, which then causes the animal to be unable pass manure.
One will find numerous and varying protocols when it comes to de-worming goats with high worm loads. I have used several, and can't really recommend one over the other, but it seems as if for you, the WSU protocol seemed to be the safest. As far as Sugar is concerned, I feel that she definitely needs supportive care BEFORE she is de-wormed, which includes a good dose of IV fluids and perhaps enteral nutrition for strength in fighting off the toxins. If it is at all possible, I'd recommend considering taking her to your Vet's clinic for hospitalization, or some Vets will help you set up IV fluids (IV catheter, drip set, etc.) at home if you have a comfortable place to confine her and keep an eye on her. Based on your description, I would say she has a rather guarded prognosis, so the quicker she can get some aggressive supportive care, the better. In my opinion, that is your best course of action. Otherwise, you're just taking a chance that doesn't sound as if it has good odds.
Let me know what you think, and please let me know if you have any further questions. And please keep me posted if you have the time.
Best wishes,
-Dan.
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be signing off for the evening. I'll check for any questions you may have first thing in the morning.
Thanks again,
-Dan.
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian