Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

How can you tell if a goat has froathy or dry bloat?

Customer Question

how can you tell if a goat has froathy or dry bloat ?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
In regards ***** ***** to diagnose one bloat from the other; we first have to appreciate that clinically they will look the same. So it is a case of the situation (ie did the doe get into too much grain, was she on the pasture, does she have a throat obstruction blocking her gas outflow) and the response to treatment.
If we have a doe on lush pasture, then frothy bloat is most likely. If she overindulged on grain or has indigestion, dry bloat will be our top suspicion. From there, if we tubed her to release gas, dry bloats will respond and deflate. Frothy bloats won't because they are distended with basically a foam of tiny bubbles that are impossible for a goat to belch up. This is we then drench oils (ie vegetable oil, mineral oil, liquid paraffin, etc) to break down that foam and disperse the gas causing the bloat.
Overall, bloat in goats looks the same no matter which we are seeing. Therefore, we have to look at the whole picture and consider the context and their treatment response. And if we have any doubt, then we can tube them to see if they respond but have the oil on hand to drench in case they do not (and confirm our frothy bloat suspicions).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )