Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My sons' steer has a bunch of small warts showing up around

Customer Question

My sons' steer has a bunch of small warts showing up around his eye - we are two weeks from fair. Any ideas
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This is not unusual and these warts, that are Papillomas, are benign and will not cause the steer any harm but do pose a problem in the show ring.I have had accasions to use cryotherapy to remove these prior to the fair. 2 weeks will give your vet enough time to either surgically remove these or use cryotherapy to freeze them off so the steer has a better chance in the show ring. These are contagious so keep him away from other steers during this time period. The judge knows that this is only an aesthetic issue and not disease but the better you can make him look, the better chances in the ring.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****