Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

We purchased two female 10 week old nubian goats last week.

Customer Question
one is doing great the...
we purchased two female 10 week old nubian goats last week. one is doing great the other has diarrhea (brown) since she got here. we have treated her with safe guard two days in a row (previous vet said do this for three days double dose). she still has diarrhea - eating and drinking and happy and looks fine and happy but not gaining weight like the other goat.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/21/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Diarrhea is common in young goats from parasites and the Safeguard should resolve this. Since the diarrhea has persisted, it is best to take a fecal sample to your vet for evaluation. I say this because this can be due to Coccidia or Giardia which requires different medications.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you. The old vet suggested we treat them with Corcid is that dangerous for them if they dont have the disease? and if not how do i get that because we cant find it online?

Hi Carolyn....yes , you can treat with Corid and this is available at the farm supply over the counter in most places. It will not harm your sweet Ginger, Carolyn, so it is worth treating with this.

thank you

You are very welcome, Carolyn....hang in there and your babies will do great!
Hi Carolyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta

I finished the 3rd dose of safeguard and I have ordered the corrid and it should arrive tomorrow. I think her diarrhea may have stopped so I will make sure before I give her this medicine. We also stopped the grain which may have helped as well. Thank you.

I am so happy Carolyn...We always worry when they are so young and fragile. You did great for your sweet kid!!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian