Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My pot bellied pig has yellow crusty eyes and now a head tilt.

Customer Question

My pot bellied pig has yellow crusty eyes and now a head tilt. What should I do ?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It is unlikely that these 2 conditions are related A head tilt indicates a neurologic problem possibly from head trauma or other brain defect. The eye issue may be a conjunctivitis or infection and for now, the best treatment for this is to apply a few drops of Artificial Tears available at the pharmacy every 4-6 hrs to flush out any irritants.
I would encourage you to have your vet examine Miss Piggy since this head tilt will require prescription medications according to the exam. we always worry about neurologic problems since a brain tumor is also in the differential list along with a vestibular apparatus issue.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Ansley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Miss Piggy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta