Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Cow has grass stuck in jaws, cleaned out several day, but more…

Customer Question
Cow has grass stuck in...
Cow has grass stuck in jaws, cleaned out several day, but more there. Can't seem to drink water, wants to but never drinks, is getting very weak and has lost weight. Local vet gave her antibiotic and cleaned out mouth, jaws twice. getting weaker. is expecting calf any day, what can we do to get her to eat and drink?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/20/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears that this cow has some form of neurologic issue causing this lack of strength in her mouth and throat area. This could be a form of encephalitis which may be treatable with antibiotics if this is bacterial cause. Steroid treatment would be the best but cannot be given when she is expecting a calf. All you can do now is to feed her a mash with warm water to allow ease in swallowing. There is also a fear of rabies due to this apparent paralysis in the throat area.
Supportive care such as giving electrolytes by mouth and fluids may help per past this until the calf is born.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****