Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 13 mo. old steer that injured his front leg fighting…

Customer Question
I have a 13 mo...
I have a 13 mo. old steer that injured his front leg fighting with a bigger steer, his leg is swollen between knee and hoof and he won't put any weight on it , he has not moved from the spot were he layed down shortly after his injury yesterday. It does not look broken. Do you think he will heal or do I need to look at salvaging the meat?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/17/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago was the fight?
Did this steer sustain any wounds during the fight?
If you palpate the leg (carefully), any bony instability?
Can he comfortably flex/extend all his joints in this leg?