Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My goat has diarrea like green color

Customer Question

My goat has diarrea like green color
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had diarrhea?
Has she been wormed or vaccinated? What were used and when?
How is her appetite?
Any fever?
Are her gums pink or pale? Moist or sticky?
Do her eyes look sunken or does her skin tent when lifted?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again
I have not hear back from you and now must be offline for the evening. Still, I did want to leave some supportive care thoughts for your return (in case you are checking what I has asked about).
Now generally speaking, green diarrhea is often related to diet. If the pasture grass is developing quickly and is increasingly lush, then this could trigger this loose stool even if you have not changed her diet. Otherwise, we can see green discolored stool with some bacterial infections. As well, diarrhea in general can also be a side effect of protozoal or parasite infestation.
Still if this is just a mild digestive disturbance to the pasture grass, you can try limiting her access to pasture, increasing her access to fiber (hay/roughage), monitoring her hydration (+/- drenching fluids and electrolytes if she is looking dehydrated or if the diarrhea is profuse), and treat her with Pepto Bismol. This can be dosed as 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs. If you try this but she isn't settling in the next 24-48 hours, then we'd need to consider those other concerns and plan to take a stool sample to her vet for analysis. This will tell you if there are any infectious agents present and guide you on what you need to treat with to clear this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eduardo Alvarez,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.