How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CountryDoc Your Own Question
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 326
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
Type Your Large Animal Veterinary Question Here...
CountryDoc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and I am a veterinary surgeon

Customer Question

Hello, My name is ***** ***** and I am a veterinary surgeon in santa rosa. I own a small animal hospital and have been practicing surgery for twenty years. I have a ranch of about 20 Nubian dairy goats. I consider myself a small breeder. All my animals are named and are considered more than Livestock ..more like pets. I have a most favorite doe that had miscarried once and had an emergency c section later. Each time she had went in to a major depression and was sick therafter. I was able to bring her back. I thought I would try a last ditch effort to have a kidding with her at age 8. she gave birth to two does two days ago... one died for some reason within 24 hrs... the other is doing well. She now has either a retained placenta or a dead fetus inside not sure. she is off feed, depressed, and sickly... has foul discharge from her uterus. I have started doxy , Keflex, and one dose of gentocin. plus supportive iv fluids and b vits. I gave a dose of Lute and Oxytocin today... Could you please advise me on the possibility o emergency Ovariohysterectomy in her tomorrow if she still looks bad. She holds a very special place in my heart and I feel that I could perform the procedure with some guidance and with some expert advise from you. Thank you so much
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Dennis.
Thanks for the interesting question! It certainly sounds as if you have come up with an appropriate diagnosis, as it's not uncommon to encounter extra "company", so to speak, following parturition. And it sound as if she does need the fluids, along with the dextrose. And yes, an emergency OVH or C-Section (depending on the health of the uterus) could well be in order. I'd be happy to help, but I've a few questions for you first as well.
1): Do you practice soft tissue, orthopedic or other types of surgeries (or all of them)?
2): Do you have availability of an ultrasound machine to examine the uterine contents prior to cutting?
3): Did you have to enter the uterus manually?
4): Have you tried flushing the uterus with saline and dilute betadine to see if it will flush clear? I'll normally use a 1L NaCl bag with just a touch of betadine and an extension set or foley-type catheter. This is a common practice in many large animals, esp. horses and goats as well, and can often clear an infection if nothing else is present that is causing the problem.
5): Have you ever performed a C-Section on a Doe (or a large breed dog)?
6): Do you have a support staff if you do need to go to sx?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
PS: I'll be signing off for the evening. Will check for your response first thing in the AM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanku for getting back.
1) I practice allll surgery from abdominal AL to cardiac to n orthopedic.
2)I have ultrasound and I have found no obvious evidence of fetus.however I can say I might miss a degraded olddd fetus that is barely there
3)yes I had to enter the uterus manually to assist with the second baby
4)have not flushed the uterus
5) I have performed 100s of csections on dogs including great Danes
6) yes I have support staff(###) ###-####ph number
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dennis:
Sorry for the delay, I've been out working all day and just got in, and left this morning before you had the chance to respond.
Has there been any improvement with the doe since your initial post? As you had to enter the uterus manually, any chance in recalling if there was perhaps a 3rd fetus?
One thing I would do, if you haven't done so already, would be to flush her. This can greatly decrease the amount of toxins building up in the uterus, and increase her chance for survival.
Anyway, I hope my response isn't too late.
So if you are convinced that an OVH is the way to go, it really isn't that different than a large dog. The biggest difference/concern of course is the rumen and regurgitation, but that would also depend on your approach. How quickly can you get in and out? You would probably want to use a gas anesthesia in case there were complications. What type of gas do you have available?
Are any of your staff versed in large animal (ruminant) anesthesia? You will need a fairly long laryngoscope, but a normal ET tube should suffice.
Please let me know if you still need some help, and I'll be happy to do my best.
-Dan C.