Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

I have a 12 week old buck goat that has a severe case of diarrhea.

Customer Question
He has had it for...
I have a 12 week old buck goat that has a severe case of diarrhea. He has had it for the last 3 days now. I have given him Bounce Back- electrolytes and just started him on half a pill of slamethoxazole and trimethoprim. He seems to be in some pain. Earlier today he was nibbling on some oat hay and did drink water. However tonight he has taken a turn for the worst.
He is in a large pen with a doe the same age, and she has been perfectly fine.
Please help! Im really worried that i might lose him! Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/10/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Greetings, and thanks for the question.
I'm sorry to hear about Jax, and I can relate to how close and quickly that the bonds form between us and our animal friends. It's hard to see them suffering. Based on what you are describing, I'd be worried too!
The info you have provided so far is great, but I need to ask you a few questions so that I might get a better picture of what is going on with Jax, so we can hopefully get him back on the road to wellness.
1): Have you noticed any blood in the diarrhea?
2): What was his diet before he broke with diarrhea?
3): Is he able to stand on his own at this point?
4): What does his environment consist of? Is he in the pen only,or does he get out into pasture, etc.?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Thank you for the quick response!
1. There hasnt been any blood from what ive seen. Its mostly a dark color with a little green. Very runny.2. I have them on a sweet mix grain (cant remember the name) and i give them grass hay or oat hay.3. Yes he is able to stand and was walking slowly earlier today. However when im not out in the barn i think he has been laying down.4. Most of the day he is kept in the pen. I let them out for a few hours each day in the pasture with my supervision because I dont want them to accidentally get hurt by my horse.Hope this helps. Thanks!
Thanks for the quick reply.
Based on your description of what Jax is experiencing, it's most likely that he is infected with a very complex, but common internal parasite known as Coccidia. It is present everywhere, and the young are especially susceptible to it. Most older goats are carriers, but they have developed an immunity by the time they reach adulthood. The kids can pick it up from manure, grass, water buckets, etc. The coccidia causes sever damage to the intestinal walls, preventing absorption and causing diarrhea. Death can and does occur, usually due to dehydration and lack of nutrients. I'm attaching several articles for you concerning this condition, but what I'd strongly recommend is that you get him to a Vet ASAP, tonight, if possible, where he can get re-hydrated and treated with the proper medications. As coccidia are not worms, regular dewormers have no effect and there are only a few products on the market that can control coccidia (Amprolium and Sulfadimethoxine). If you are unable to get him seen tonight (I'd even recommend trying some small animal clinics, as some will take on a young one such as Jax), the best you can do is try to get him some fluids (water, not any more electrolytes) via a syringe into his mouth, but being extremely careful that he doesn't breathe liquid into his lungs which would only make matters worse. Ideally, he should be on IV fluids and hospitalization.
I want to get this off to you quickly, so I'll quit rambling.
Please see links below, but most importantly, please get him seen as soon as you are able.
-Dan C.
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/coccidiosis2011.html
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/178369/goat-coccidiosis.pdf
http://www.meatgoats.ncsu.edu/PUBS_files/Coccidiosis.pdf
If you have further questions, please let me know.
-Dan C.
I'll be signing off for the night. Hoping that your buck is doing alright!
-Dan C.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jax. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian