Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a preg pbp she is laying down thought she

Customer Question

I have a preg pbp she is laying down for twodays thought she was ready to give birth bit today I yook her temp it is 104 I foced he up she went out in her pin and went potty peed and poop r
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Since this is her first pregnancy, she may not follow all of the normal timings for delivery so you will have to be patient. This increase in temperature may indicate an infection somewhere which may interfere with the delivery especially if this is in her uterus. It is best to watch and wait and if she contnues to have this high fever, then anti pyretics such as aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs will have to be given as well as antibiotics. WE prefer to not give thhese when they are this far along but sometimes, to save the mother, we may be forced to give these.
If there is no improvement, have your vet examine her to know for sure. If you see any pus like discharge from her vulva, this is not a good sign since this means that the cervix is open and there is infection inside the uterus.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****