CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

What can I do to stop my male goats from horreling when my

Customer Question

What can I do to stop my male goats from horreling when my females are in heat?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 years ago.
Greetings, and thanks for the question. I apologize for the delay.
A lot of my work is with goats, but I must admit I'm not familiar with the term "horreling". Could you explain what you mean by the term please? Hoping I can help!
Looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why do they yell and scream really loud?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It means loud yelling
Thanks for getting back to me, and for teaching me a new term! I think I'll use it!
As you probably know, this is a normal behavior for bucks in rut, especially when there are does in heat nearby. Anywhere within smelling distance (and goats have an incredible sense of smell) will evoke this behavior. You mentioned that you tried separate pens, but most likely they aren't far enough apart. Do you have enough space to move the buck as far away from the does as possible where he couldn't smell them? Or an understanding neighbor that would keep the buck for you for a time?
Something else you might try (and I've never heard of it done before, it just popped into my head) would be to rub some Vick's Vapo-Rub or some other strong smelling essential oil, etc. under and on the tip of his nose. This may prevent him from smelling the does. Worth a try!
How many does do you have? And just the one buck? Is he in a pen by himself? Do you have an older doe that no longer comes into heat? (Or perhaps even a wether?) It's possible he may quiet down if she/he were put into the pen with him, just for companionship and obviously she wouldn't let him mount her (but I wouldn't want her to get hurt, either).
Let me know, please, your answers to my questions, and your thoughts on what I've suggested.
Again, I've just been called out for an emergency so I'll be gone for a few hours. Thanks for your understanding. I'll also leave this question open, should any other Large Animal experts that happen to be online can perhaps make some suggestions also.
-Dan C.
Good Morning.
Just checking to see if you have any further questions.
Thanks again,
-Dan C.