Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Do dairy cows get vally fever

Customer Question
do dairy cows get vally fever
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2015
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you want to know if dairy cows can contract Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) caused by the fungi Coccidioides immitis.
The short answer is yes.
They must be exposed to dust containing the spores to get sick. They are usually infected by inhaling dust during dry, windy conditions such as the drought seen in California now. This fungus is found primarily in the Southwest United States in the San Joaquin Valley or Bakersfield (Kern County), Calif., Tucson, Ariz., or parts of southern New Mexico or west Texas and infection rates are highest during late summer and early fall when conditions are typically the driest.
Symptoms include a cough, shortness of breath, and fever as well as lethargy. The disease can progress to chronic or progressive lung disease and may even become form skin lesions, lesions in the lining tissue of the brain (meninges), skeleton, and granulomas in the internal organs.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

KMJ90