Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

We have a day old baby goat that seems to have diarrhea. Are

Customer Question

We have a day old baby goat that seems to have diarrhea. Are there any home remedies for this problem? She is nursing well and otherwise seems healthy.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 years ago.
Greetings, and thanks for the question. I apologize for the delay, I just got in for the day.
Sorry to hear about your little girl! It can be frustrating to run into such a problem so early in their lives. There are many "remedies" for diarrhea in the goat, but the best way to approach it is to find the cause of the diarrhea, rather than just treat the clinical signs. Kaopectate and Pepto-Bismol can help with symptoms, but again, we don't know why she has the diarrhea. I'd like to ask you a few questions so that I may answer your question more thoroughly.
1): Has she had the diarrhea since she was born?
2): What color is it?
3): Has the mother been de-wormed recently?
4): What type of environment do your goats live in (enclosed, fenced area, stalls, pasture, etc.)?
5): How many goats do you have?
6): Any other goats with diarrhea or odd-appearing manure, such as clumped and not in pellets?
7): What breed is she?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1) We noticed the diarrhea on the second day
2) The diarrhea is a yellowish brown, and both of the little girls have it.
3) The mother has not been de-wormed recently.
4) The goats are in a fenced pen area.
5)We have three milking goats and four babies now. We also have a male goat in a separate pen. At present the two babies are in a small pen with just their mom.
6) There are no other goats with these symptoms at this time.
7) Both the Doe and Buck are La Mancha breed.
Good morning, and thanks for getting back to me. Greatly appreciated!
From your description, it sounds as if the manure is going through the proper type of elimination that occurs during the first few days, as far as coloring. The manure is normally not well formed at this time, but they shouldn't be experiencing diarrhea. There is a good chance that this is related to a parasite called "Coccidia", which can be devastating to young ones if not controlled. As I previously mentioned, it's good to know the cause of the diarrhea, and I strongly recommend that you consider taking some fresh fecal samples to your Vet. If you don't have a large animal Vet nearby, chances are that a small animal clinic would be happy to run a fecal analysis for you, to check for the presence of Coccidia or other parasites (other parasites, however, are unlikely due to the age of the kids, as they wouldn't have the chance to develop yet). Coccidia doesn't respond to the regular dewormers, but an over the counter product called "Corid" can usually take care of the Coccidia problem. I normally go with a dose of 2.5 cc orally per 50 pounds once daily for 7 days. It cam also be put into the drinking water as a preventative. If you do take some samples into a Vet clinic, it wold also be a good idea to take a few representative samples from the adults that haven't been dewormed to see if there is a problem there too. Coccidia can easily be passed to newborns from the adults, but adults can acquire a decent immunity against Coccidia, so some will usually always be present with a fecal analysis.
So chances are that Coccidia is the top of the list in my book, and even though it wouldn't hurt to treat for it, it's still best to know what exactly you're treating for.
I trust that i've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions.
Best of luck, and have fun with the kids!
-Dan.
Hello again.
I just got called out for an emergency, so I'll be away from the computer for a few hours. I'll look for any replies from you when I return. I trust my responses were clear for you, and again, please feel free to ask more questions if you still have concerns.
Many thanks,
-Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
You're very welcome! And thanks for your patience.
I hope that you'll be able to find your little one some relief soon. Please drop me a note if you have the time and let me know how things are going with her. It's sometimes frustrating not knowing or hearing from the online "patients", as I do think about them.
Thanks again,
-Dan.
Just checking to see if you had any further questions.
Hope your day is great.
-Dan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The babies are fine but we had to put the mother down this morning. She was very ill since yesterday. The babies are happily nursing two other goats that are milkers. Thanks for your help.
Thanks so much for getting back to me.
I'm very sorry to hear about your doe, however. You hadn't mentioned that she was sick. My condolences for her loss. I am glad that the babies are doing well, though. May they carry their Mama's spirit along with their happiness!
Also, I'm glad I was able to be of some help. Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have other questions.
-Dan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
You're very welcome.
You'll be in my thoughts.
Blessings,
-Dan.