Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 4 month old lamb. She's had a hard life and

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 4 month old lamb. She's had a hard life and was accidentally given food with copper when she was only a month old. She recovered however it stunted her growth and development tremendously. We still give her a bottle twice daily to help her put on weight and keep her going, in that, we add 5ml liquid B12 and one pump of sheep vitamin drench. The poor thing was accidentally again given copper in food made for sheep, but poor quality and contained copper 5ppm to 20ppm, she received it for about a week - eating free choice before it was removed. Now, as of last week I've added one drop liquid 25mcg ammonium molybdate to her bottle to help remove the copper from her liver.
Yesterday, we noticed her stubbling a bit, but otherwise still walking and eating. Today, she cannot stand or walk, we forced some of the bottle down her (maybe 2 oz) without the molybdate. She's holding her head back, eyes rolling back sometimes, laying and tensing up her legs quite often.
Also, Tuesday-ish, she add some ants or chewing lice on her and obviously in distress, I turned her over and rubbed some sheep powder on her belly to help get rid of any other insects.
Vet cannot come til later today to look at her, not sure she'll make it that long. Any help is appreciated.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Bea...you are doing the right thing by giving the ammonium molybdate but it appears to me that you are too late. The signs that Brea is showing is liver failure causing extreme anemia and serious neurologic symptoms such as holding her head back, tensing her legs as if in a seizure. All you can do now is what you are doing....supportive care could help such as electrolytes.
The sign of the lice on Brea usualy means that her immune system has been suppressed by the liver disease. I am afraid that this may not be treatable at this point but do all you can with supportive care.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible too much molybdate would pull too much copper and have this affect? Is there any way to pull through this or just make her comfortable in her last moments?
Thanks
No, there is not too much copper that could be pulled out of the liver. Most likley the presence of the copper has already done serious liver damage and there may not be anything else that you can do for your sweet Brea...she put up a good fight. Now, make her comfortable and provide supportive care.