Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  Ambulatory Large Animal Veterinarian
64065035

Can a goat be given a Legend (hyaluronate sodium) shot for

Can a goat be given a Legend (hyaluronate sodium) shot for arthritis? The packaging indicates it is for horses, but I have heard of it being given to dogs. If so, may I have an approximate dosage for a 250 lb goat? Thank you.

Dr. Matt : Hi, I'm Dr. Matt. I've never used Legend (IV hyaluronic acid) in a goat, but I have used Adequan (IM poly sulfufated glucosaminoglycan) in ruminant species before. Legend is only labeled for use in horses but adequan is labeled for use in both dogs and horses. I'd recommend going with Adequan.
Dr. Matt : The unfortunate thing is Adequan is currently on manufacturer backorders and won't be available again until July.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the adequan is not available, is there anything else that could be used in the meantime (maybe butte or metcam?) Thank you.

Meloxicam and bute are possibilities, however they aren't legal for use in food animals (and goats are technically food animals). Your vet may not be willing to prescribe them.
I'd go with meloxicam over the bute. These drugs are NSAIDs (pain/anti-inflammatory medications) which will make your goat feed better, the Adequan will actually help the joint versus just relieve pain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great. Can I get a prescription and purchase through you, or does this site only offer advise? Thanks.

Unfortunately a client:patient:veterinarian relationship (physically examining the patient) is needed to actually diagnose/treat or prescribe anything. I'm only able to provide general advice through here. Sorry!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That makes sense. Thank you for your help. Lisa

No problem. Hope that helped. Anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, that's it for now. Thank you so much.