Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

Hello, we have a male saanen goat, a yr. old. He seems to

Hello, we have a male...
Hello, we have a male saanen goat, a yr. old. He seems to be having a problem with
equilibrium, unsteady on his legs, cocking his head, unsure of his steps. He is eating & drinking water ok. He eats hay, raw veg scraps (but not potato peelings) & grass with the new weeds, dandelions, burdock.
How can we treat him to get better?

Thanks,
Karen
5/4/2013
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Good Morning Karen and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Munchkin's condition. I know this is very scary not knowing what is causing this.

These are typical signs of a neurologic defect. This defect could be due to an infectious cause affecting the Vestibular Apparatus causing this imbalance. This could also be due to head trauma that you may not be aware of or a vitamin B deficiency.

Also, an inner ear infection can cause this neurologic issue.

Because there are a few possibilities and Munchkin is otherwise healthy, it is best to treat for all of these.

1. Give aspirin at 3 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease inflammation that may be compressing the nerve supply.

2. Give Munchkin daily injections of a vitamin B complex that is available at the farm supply. The dose is listed on the bottle.

3. Give Munchkin Penicillin G daily for 7 days that can also be purchased at the farm supply.

4. Worm Munchkin with Ivermectin in case there are parasites.

5. Check Munchkins ears to see if there is any evidence of infection...if so, clean with peroxide.

If Munchkin does not respond to this treatment, Karen, have your vet examine him...he may require steroid treatments to get him past this.

Does that make sense to you, Karen?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Thank you so much, Karen for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Munchkin's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

Hello, we treated him with all you recommended above, & will follow up. A couple of hours after treatments, his urine was pink. That's the first time it's been discolored.

He tries so valiantly to stand for as long as he can, then lays on his side. We get him up & walk him around a bit.

He'll stand & try to walk around for a couple of hours, then lays on his side again. He is shaky & unbalanced.

Thanks for the update, Karen...

I am still not quite sure what is happening but it is time to switch from the aspirin to steroids. Contact your vet about giving steroid injections or prednisone tablets. These are much stronger anti inflammatory agents but they are only by prescription. Munchkin should have shown at least some improvement by now...continue with the other treatments but now, Karen, he needs steroids.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Munchkin. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian