Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Are sand burrs harmful to cattle and horses?

6/29/2012
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.

If there are sandburrs in the pasture, you can still put livestock (cattle or horses) in to graze. Most of the time they will eat sand burrs as long as they are young and tender with no ill effects. When they get mature they usually will graze around them.

The reason we don't like them in the pasture is not because they will harm them. Rather they can be annoying in the sense of the burrs sticking to the coat + mane. (And in those cases, you may have to get a fine tooth comb and baby oil to remove them from anywhere they end up). As well, they can get into ears and cause irritation (and possible secondary infection) and there have been some cases of mechanical injury to the mouth leading to hypersalivation (more likely in horses).

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian