Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

2 week lamb has eye drainage and a liitle redness, I have Penicillin…

Customer Question
2 week lamb has eye...
2 week lamb has eye drainage and a liitle redness, I have Penicillin Procaine, what do you suggest? Also what is Clostridium Perfigens-types C&D -tetanus toxoid for?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
3/5/2012
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.

Ocular discharge and inflammation in lambs at this age can be caused by a range of conditions. If you are not seeing any clouding of the cornea (eye's external clear coat), ulceration of the cornea or clouding/floculant material inside the eye (uveitis), then you are most likely looking at a conjunctivitis type condition. Conjunctivitis is most often caused by bacteria, though there can occasionally be parasitic, viral, and fungal versions of this condition.

If we are looking at a conjunctivitis, the most common cause is bacteria, specifically mycoplasma and chlamydia. If we are looking at a case of bacterial conjunctivitis, it would be best to use a antibiotic eye drops instead of systemic antibiotics. Often we start with broad spectrum antibiotic eye drops, which usually either contain terramycin, tetracycline or tylosan and are administered 2-4 times daily. If we find it doesn't resolve with broad spectrum antibiotics, we can then swab the eye for the lab to grow the pathogen in culture (which allows them to identify the agent and what drugs it is sensitive to).

In regards XXXXX XXXXX second question, C. perfringens C+D-tetanus toxoid is a vaccination that provides three-way protection against enterotoxemia caused by Clostridium perfringins types C and D and tetanus (lockjaw) caused by Clostridium tetani. It is wise to cover your sheep against these fatal diseases, because their maternal antibodies to the diseases are the only protection the lambs will have.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, I would be grateful if you would press the wee green accept.
Thank you,
Dr. B.

There is some clouding of the cornea, what are we dealing with?
If there is clouding, the above are still differentials but you have additional worries.

The clouding is corneal edema, which is the cornea's way of showing inflammation. This can be inflammation due to trauma to the eye or infectious erosion of the cornea. It often means that there might be an ulcer present on the eye.

Therefore, topical treatment is still advisable but you need to consider having the vet stain the eye with fluoresceinto verify the extent of damage, because if there is a deep ulcer and left unaddressed, we risk the eye rupturing.

Dr. B
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Thankyou,

I'm sorry but your first answer somehow was erased. It advised me on what type of eye solution you recommended, can you resend.

Very strange that it deleted it for you (Ja has been a bit wonky today).
Here is my first response for you
-Dr. B.

In regards to your second question, C. perfringens C+D-tetanus toxoid is a vaccination that provides three-way protection against enterotoxemia caused by Clostridium perfringins types C and D and tetanus (lockjaw) caused by Clostridium tetani. It is wise to cover your sheep against these fatal diseases, because their maternal antibodies to the diseases are the only protection the lambs will have.