Large Animal Veterinary

I have a 2 day old goat. Her mother died last night, on top…

Customer Question
I have a 2 day...
I have a 2 day old goat. Her mother died last night, on top of her. We have brought her (the baby) into the house. I have warmed her up and have given her so far about 3 oz of cow's milk.
1. She won't stand. In fact she won't move her back legs at all. She seems to respond if I touch her tail. It was cold last night and her limbs were quite... Read full answer
1. She won't stand. In fact she won't move her back legs at all. She seems to respond if I touch her tail. It was cold last night and her limbs were quite cool when she was brought in this morning. She is perkier now, but still wont use her back legs. How can I test to see if this is just weakness or if she has a severed or damaged spinal cord. Are there reflexes I can test in her hind quarters?
As well, can she eat cow's milk? Can I supplement it with honey? How about evaporated milk from a can?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
2/6/2012
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.

Collapse in a kid this young will most likely be caused by hypoglycemia or hypothermia.
If you are trying to determine if there is damage to the spinal cord, reflexes (like withdrawl) are not going to be useful because these the nature of reflex is that they are done without thought (meaning the 'message' doesn't go to the brain before completing the movement).

That said, you can tell if the kid does have use of her legs by testing her pain sensation. This can be done by pinching the leg hard enough to make her respond by looking at you or vocalizing. You can also do this with a sterile pin or needle. I appreciate it does sound really mean but if she gives you a sign she can feel it then she does have communication between her hind legs and her brain (and thus the spine is intact)

If this is normal, then take her rectal temperature and make sure she is kept warm. You can help supplement her blood sugar if that is low by giving her honey or pancake syrup or even better their are powdered glucose preparation from the feed store that can be made into a solution that you can stomach tube her (and warm glucose this way will be a way to get both her hypo-'s under control.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX for the long term feed, it would be better to purchase goats milk from the store for her. (since it is her species). Its just it will have the right nutrient and fat balance for her and will make her less prone to end up with diarrhea (which is the last thing she needs).

I hope this information is helpful.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, I would be grateful if you would press the wee green accept.
Thank you,
Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I have been using a 5cc syringe to feed her. She is much warmer now than 2 hours ago when brought in, is awake but sleepy, and is starting to 'mew'. I gave her a pinch but she did not respond to that- not sure if it is because she cannot feel her back legs or if she doesn't care. I will keep feeding her and keeping her warm. What is a normal rectal temp for a goat? How about heart rate?

The 5cc syringe is just fine.
I am glad she is perking up, and I agree that she if she is hypoglycemic and/or hypothermic then she might not be in the right mindset to acknowledge your wee test. So, do keep supporting her and test once she is more with it.

The normal temperature of a goat is 101.5-103.5°F, but it is below 100°, then that is too cold and she needs warming up. Her heart rate should be 140- 180 at her age.

Best of luck with the wee one.
Take care,
Dr. B.

now her temp is 104.3. I think she is a bit tachypnaeic. She bleats but still wont stand. I have given her 10ccs of evaporated milk with a bit of molasses. Not sure what to do now

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Apologies for being away for your further question, as it was way past my bedtime.

Could you outline your warming technique that she got this warm?

The tachypneia could be due to the overheating, as long as you are sure there wasn't any chance of milk aspiration into the lungs. I do hope that you were able to actively cool her a wee bit to bring that temperature down.

Do let me know how you are doing, it is morning again and I am contactable throughout the day.

Dr. B
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My goat is unable to walk today. She kidded a about 6 weeks
My goat is unable to walk today. She kidded a about 6 weeks ago and lost all 3 kids. She had them outside and in the middle of the night so not sure why but assumed due to exposure. Then mom seemed to… read more
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
I have a 3 week old goat we are bottle feeding. Her legs
I have a 3 week old goat we are bottle feeding. Her legs seem weak this morning, she can not hardly hold herself up … read more
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Veterinarian,
Veterinary Degree (BVMS)
My boss has been given a baby goat and she's bottle feeding
My boss has been given a baby goat and she's bottle feeding it long life goats milk is this ok? … read more
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Veterinarian,
BA
Stop searching for answers—
I have a baby goat that is 9 days old. We adopted her and
I have a baby goat that is 9 days old. We adopted her and a baby boy 4 days ago. We started her on the bottle when we brought her home. She was taking the bottle great until last night. She developed … read more
Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve
Practicing Veterinarian,
My little pigmy goat is lethargic. She is laying down ...although
My little pigmy goat is lethargic. She is laying down ...although her head is up. She drinks as we have been giving her a water bottle. She was eating grass and hay last night and leaves today. She is… read more
Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve
Practicing Veterinarian,
Kid goat - 3 weeks old - cannot stand and neck will not straighten
Kid goat - 3 weeks old - cannot stand and neck will not straighten out - she keeps it arched back against her back. We found her in the nursery with the other goats laying on the hay arching and kicki… read more
JoanNortonVMD
JoanNortonVMD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Beef cow with 2 day old calf. Calf not sucking. Attempting
Beef cow with 2 day old calf. Calf not sucking. Attempting to get the calf to suck and found the left hind quarter oozing yellow clotted "milk". Other quarters appear to be ok, so I'm milking those an… read more
Dr. Todd
Dr. Todd
Cow: For two days now she will not try to use her frontend to.
Cow down. For two days now she will not try to use her frontend to. Get up. Calves about two months ago had milk fever then… read more
Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve
Practicing Veterinarian,
goat: bottle feeding..s milk..continual diarrhea problems
I have a pygmy doe goat. I got her at two weeks and she is now 5 weeks. I have been bottle feeding her cow's milk 4oz every four hours but she has continual diarrhea problems. She was on Pepto and has… read more
Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve
Practicing Veterinarian,
An hour old abandoned lamb was brought to my door by a neighbor
An hour old abandoned lamb was brought to my door by a neighbor because he knew I would take care of it. I'm trying but she is not doing so well. I got some frozen goat colostrum from a friend and gav… read more
Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson
We have a two day old calf - mother rejected - we have bottle
We have a two day old calf - mother rejected - we have bottle fed twice but now calf will not take bottle - what to do… read more
Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats
Owner- Cat Hospital,
heifer: two year old..one two quarters healed, one is about dry
hi, i have a two year old spring heifer that freshened on the 3 of december. she had mastitis in all four quarters one two quarters healed, one is about dry, and the fourth is hard and has chunky mast… read more
Dr. Kathy
Dr. Kathy
Stop searching for answers—
i have an adult cow that tries to get up but she can,t lift
i have an adult cow that tries to get up but she can,t lift her hind end up..seems healthy .no breathing problem..what needs to be done.… read more
CountryDoc
CountryDoc
Veterinarian,
What can cause weakness in the back legs of my Highland bull
What can cause weakness in the back legs of my Highland bull? He had coccidiosis this summer and is very slow to gain his weight back.… read more
KF Grich
KF Grich
I have a 4 week old nigerian dwarf goat with diareah. She is
I have a 4 week old nigerian dwarf goat with diareah. She is being bottle fed with raw goat milk. She is eating some hay that consists of alfalfa orchard and timothy. She is eating grass and some dand… read more
HarvDVM
HarvDVM
Mixed Animal Practicioner,
my pygmy goat is laying on her side, stiff legged with a slightly
my pygmy goat is laying on her side, stiff legged with a slightly distended abdomen (this is sometimes larger, sometimes smaller). when placed on her feet, she stumble runs a few feet he falls over on… read more
CountryDoc
CountryDoc
Veterinarian,
We have a cow that had a calf about four months ago and a month
We have a cow that had a calf about four months ago and a month ago she lost alot of weight and started getting weak about a couple weeks ago. She went down about three days ago and can't get up I bri… read more
CountryDoc
CountryDoc
Veterinarian,
i have 1 and a half old llama and we have to bottle feed her
i have 1 and a half old llama and we have to bottle feed her with goats milk. but when she poohs it is green and lquid, like dirhea, why is that happening and is it a bad think for her to be doing tha… read more