Dr. Todd
Dr. Todd, Large Animal Vet
Experience:  35 years of experience
13956379

Where else can you put IV in calf besides neck

Where else can you put IV in calf besides neck?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 6 years ago.

The best place to treat a calf intravenously is in the jugular vein of the neck (either side) because the jugular vein is fairy large.

It is very difficult and impractical to use other locations because the veins in other locations are small and difficult to find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have new Calf that has scours like water. Have had terrible time with iv infiltrating. Have also had some fluid accumulate in neck. very difficult to get iv in neck right now. Calf can still stand on her own but will soon scour to death.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am nurse and IV therapist and can stick veins. It would be great to just have another location to at least look at. I have had people tell me the tail? Is this true?
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 6 years ago.

If you are unable to use the jugular veins, you can give fluids under the skin (subcutaneously) in the neck area in front of the shoulder. It takes longer for the fluids to be absorbed than by the IV route, but it's the only route available to you.

You can also give oral electrolytes once you learn to use an esophageal feeder. You have to be very careful with the feeder. If it's not done correctly, fluids can be put into the lungs instead of the stomach.

The tail vein is suitable for small-volume injections (1 cc or less) but not suitable for IV fluid administration.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tubed this calf this morning and she didn't tollerate it well. Her stomach isn't working very well because of her gross dehydration. She has fluid in her neck that has been there since this morning and it is not going anywhere. Part of why I can't get IV in.
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 6 years ago.

The accumulation of fluid around the jugular veins makes it almost impossible to do any more successful jugular venipunctures.

You will have to go the sub Q route.

You may read or be told to use the intraperitoneal route. Don't do it. It's likely to cause a raging peritonitis.