Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

how do you treat mastitis in a beef cow

Customer Question
?...
how do you treat mastitis in a beef cow ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/25/2010
Large Animal Vet: Dr. MD Stafford, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. MD Stafford
Dr. MD Stafford, Veterinarian
First and fore most you must keep the udder milked out. If you can give her oxytocin and milk her 3-4 times per day. Since this is a beef cow you are not restricted as to the antibiotics you can use. I would recommend Albon and tetracycline IV for this cow for a few days. If you cannot give the product IV then get some Albon boluses and tetracycline injectable (la-200) and treat her daily for 4-5 days. You will also need to give some banamine as well. good luck.
Is the Albon, tretracycline and banamine by Rx only? I can't do the IV; she is a little too frisky for that. Also, how do you feel about the Today product that you give 2 doses -- 12 hours apart?
Albon and tetracyclines are available over the counter. It is good she is frisky, means she will make it. The Today is not strong enough to use alone in a beef cow. Get some albon and tetracyclines. No need for banamine if she is feeling frisky. The albon will be an oral product and the tetracycline can go SQ via injection.
You say that Albon and Tetracyclines is available over the counter? Where? I called a Walco and they did not have either. Now, remember she is frisky so, how can I give her an injection SQ and what site should this injection be given?
Try valley vet supply. You will have to tie her up to give her a shot either with a chute or rope. Order some LA-200 and give her 40-50 cc SQ. If you cannot get her call your local vet for help.