Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Hi there, Yes! My 13 yr old warm blood gelding who competes…

Customer Question
Hi there, Yes! My 13...
Hi there,
Yes! My 13 yr old warm blood gelding who competes in dressage has a bizarre lameness/problem, unfindable so far, which causes him to kick up on the left hind at the trot. He does not have stringhalt. He does not do this while under tack on a lunge line, only with a rider. He has been blocked, xrayed, had a bone scan(suggested by Dr. Toraba, had a stem cell injection on both hind suspensory ligaments which were both enlarged, found in an ultrasound after the bone scan. I just resumed riding him after the stem cell injections, 8 weeks stall rest, and he is completely the same as before. Ultrasound post 8 wks showed a reduction in size of both upper suspensory ligaments, so the stem cell did help, but the cause of the kick does not seem to have come from these. Very frustrating. The bone scan also showed inflamation in two neck vertebrae, which have been injected as well. The scan showed nothing in the back, pelvis or back area.. He runs and plays in the pasture without doing the kick up, so it seems to have something to do with a rider on his back, (does it in all saddles-I have had many fitted and tried different styles). Weight of rider does not seem to matter, from 105-180 lbs., same result. Any ideas?
Horse Art
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/22/2010
Large Animal Vet: Dr. M., Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. M.
Dr. M., Veterinarian
Have a video of him going you could post?
Will do that.
ok.. I ll watch out for it.