Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

goat: one spot..24 hours..antibotic, and pain killer for the fever…

Customer Question
My miniture goat has been...
My miniture goat has been standing in one spot and looking at the ground for over 24 hours. The lady I got her from figures she has pneumonia, gave her some antibotic, and pain killer for the fever. (103) at about 12:30 pm today. She is still in the same position. Is this common? It's almost like she is sleeping while standing. I can see she may have a touch of diareaha also. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I have two does, they are sisters and were born this spring. The other one seems to be just fine. Trying to play with the sick one. Chisty Serum email:[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2010
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Brian, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Veterinarian

I'm going to give you somewhat of a quick answer without asking you for more details because this could be something serious that needs to be treated quickly. It's 9:15 PM here, so depending where you are your time frame to get medicines may be short.

My first thoughts would be polio and vitamin A deficiency.

The polio in ruminants is caused by thiamine deficiency (B vitamin). You would need to get thiamine into her quickly. The shot form is best- give 2 cc three times a day for 3 days (about 300mg per day needed). There's a B complex shot that has thiamine in it also.

The vitamin A deficiency needs (you guessed it) a vitamin A shot. There are different forms, but if you give about 2 cc once, you can get a better dose later if needed.

I would tend towards saying it's the polio, so the thiamine is more important. We can dialog more later (Tuesday) but try these things for now.

A vet would be a good source for the shots, but you can find them in farm stores. You can probably buy them from a vet without him coming out.

I pray you can get her through this (and that it's something less serious).

We started her on B vitamin shots yesterday (Tuesday) She seems to be a little better, she is moving around alittle bit, but is swinging her head back and forth. Is this normal? Just wondering if it is on the right track or not. thanks christy

Here are some further thoughts/ diagnoses:

--She is showing mental signs- that is, in her higher brain that controls her thinking and responsiveness. This points in certain directions for diagnosis.

--She sounds fair if it is polio. Keep giving the shots and we'll wait and see. If she continues to recover, you could ignore the diseases below. I'll give you all the possibilities I can think of so you can research what you want to.

--Rabies- Rare. Signs in Brownie don't fit. BUT obviously very dangerous for you. Would not want her body fluids on you. If she can swallow, she would NOT have rabies. Contact a local vet or state vet if concerned.

***--Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE) virus- the fever would fit this more than the polio. But it normally paralyzes their legs more. Diagnosis- blood test. Unfortunately, no treatment. It is contagious somewhat to other goats.

***--Listeriosis- also causes a fever. Many times causes signs on one side of the body and head. Treat with penicillin 2 to 3 times a day at 1 cc for each 20 pounds of goat for 7 to 14 days, give under skin. This is a possibility, and you may want to treat this way just in case this is the disease.

--Trauma to the brain. Probably not the case.

--Nervous coccidiosis. More in the Northwestern United States (I don't know where you are). Treat with Sulfa antibiotics. Mostly fatal.

--Lead poisoning. From old paint, batteries, motor oil, linoleum, and caulking. Eliminate the sources of lead.

--Ethylene glycol poisoning. Eliminate the source.

Again, this will give you some things to research. I starred the most likely ones above. A vet on your farm could notice more of the exact symptoms and give a better diagnosis.