Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

lambs: They look all right but seem weak.

Customer Question
We are lambing now out...
We are lambing now out of season, and about half of the lambs are not making it. They look all right but seem weak. Also this morning we had two sheep with lambs that were dead they were a nice size but looked as if they had no wool. any suggestions
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
6/12/2010
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Hi there.

I would worry that the sheep are not getting enough good heavy carbohydrates to handle the load of the lambs that are using up much if their glucose and calcium reserves. The lambing season in any part of your country is based on when the feed is the best and most nutritious. The last lamb that did not have wool was probably born premature and the lungs were not competent to start on their own.

I would recommend that you supplement them with extra grain and a supplement of calcium and phosphorus during the gestation period.

Good Luck!!