Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

My nubian nix doe is foaming at the mouth & slightly shivering.

What should I do?...
My nubian nix doe is foaming at the mouth & slightly shivering. What should I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2009
Dr. Darren
Dr. Darren, Large Animal Vet

HiCustomer

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Let me ask you a few questions to better assist you.

How long has your doe been showing these clinical signs?

Is she bloated or showing any signs of respiratory distress?

Did she just recently eat grain (sometimes they get a choke in their esophagus)?

Have you fed anything unusual lately (different feed, yard clippings, etc.)?

I noticed about 8:30 this morning (It's almost 9:30 now). She is doing some coughing. She is not bloated. She and her 2 kids (7months old) were inside all day yesterday due to the weather. All they had was hay, and some grain at their evening meal. I didn't see her eat any grain for breakfast. Also.... She sometimes puts her head against the wall. Like I sometimes hold my hand on the top of my head when I have a bad headache. (I don't know if that means anything.
Michele Konnersman
Michele Konnersman, Large Animal Vet

Your goat is coughing and foaming some at the mouth, and also pressing her head on the wall, and not eating. I am afraid that she may be developing pneumonia. If you can get a temperature taken on her, it should be between 101 and 103 in the mornings. If it is higher than that, she has a fever and should be put onto antibiotics. If you can contact your Veterinarian right away, you might get more help diagnosing her problem and get the correct antibiotic, especially since it sounds like she might have pneumonia. The head pressing is sometimes a sign of depression which often comes on with pneumonia. I usually treat with antibiotics for 7 days for a pneumonia.

Take Care,

Michele

I have some antibiotics in the fridge. (The needle type) Any ideas on how many cc's each day? I did the coffee thing in case she ate something bad. She is now eating some hay. I have to leave for my own dr appontment today, So I will take her temp when I get back.

Yes, print the name of the drugs here and I can tell you the dose for each. I will be watching for your answer.

Michele

The drug is by Durvet and it's called PEN-AQUEOUS.

Yes, Before you draw up any doses, make sure that the bottle is shaken very well. It all has to be dissolved well with nothing stuck to the bottom before you begin. The dose is 1 cc per 20 lb given under the skin. And give it every 12 hours. If there is no change for the better in 3 days, you may need to change to another antibiotic such as Nuflor or Excenel or Excede, but for now you could try the Pen if you need it.

Take Care,

Michele

Are those other brands better? Are they given the same way? I might be able to pick some up from the feed store today while I'm in town.

The drugs I listed probably will not be at the feedstore, but you can look. The Excenel dose would be 1 cc per 20 lb given under the skin every 24 hours. The Nuflor dose would be 6 cc per 100 lb when given under the skin. Both of those drugs will probably have to be purchased from a Veterinarian, but it never hurts to check the feed store.

Michele

How contagious is pneumonia? Should I be giving antibotics to the kids too? How can I help keep it from spreading to the other animals?

No, I would just treat the sick goat with antibiotics. Just watch appetite and behavior of the other goats. Pneumonia can be contagious, but does not always pass from sick to healthy goat. Sometimes the sick goat has other stressors that make it susceptible to pneumonia. There is a special serum called Poly-Serum that may be at your feedstore. This serum can be given to all of the healthy goats to help prevent pneumonia. If it is not at your feedstore, it is carried by www.valleyvet.com online, and I think the shipping is free on that product.

Michele

Michele Konnersman
Michele Konnersman, Large Animal Vet
She has now had 3 doses of anibiotics. She is not eating very well, and sometimes she has her tounge hang out the side of her mouth. She looks thinner all of a sudden to me. The only vet in town just says that he doesn't know. What else can I do to help her. I really do think she is dying... but to call a vet out in the middle of no-where will cost a fortune.

I believe she is hanging her tongue because she is trying to breath. it sounds like she is not being helped by the Pen G. Can you have the vet prescribe some Nuflor today, and you can give it a try. You need to estimate her weight and tell the vet you need 6 cc per 100 lb and you need to repeat that tomorrow and daily through the weekend. If the vet does not have Nuflor, ask for Excenel or Naxcel and get enough to give 1 cc per 20 lb once daily through the weekend. Give all of the injections under the skin.

You also need to give Banamine. Ask the Vet for syringes with a daily dose of 1 cc per 100 lb in each syringe, enough for the weekend. These are the drugs that may help her. The vet should just let you get them and give them at home.

Michele

ok, I'm looking into that now. By the way... her temp is 102, and her weight is about 80 lbs.

She doesn't have a fever at this time, but it may be because she is having trouble keeping up her temp. She has not been eating enough hay to fill up and create heat. Try to help her stay warm at night, maybe a blanket could be given to her and tied onto her back. Some people put sweatshirts on the goat to keep them warm.

The treatments I am suggesting, with antibiotics, will also help treat for Listeria if that is the problem, but I still think most signs are pneumonia related and not Listeria. signs. With the right antibiotics, we can treat for both.

Michele

Ok, I just got home from picking up the meds from the vet. (yes it's a long drive). I picked up the Nuflor & the Banamine, and I gave her the shots for today. They also suggested a shot for worming, so I got that too. I've got to be honest... she does not look good. She is getting really weak, I hope this stuff kicks in. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much for your help. (Mary, from Ireland WV)

Yes, you are giving her every chance that you can. I hope she will turn around for you. I don't know how old the kids are, but you maybe should be supplementing them with milk if they are less than 6 weeks old. Their mother probably isn't making much milk if any at this time.

Michele

The kids are 7 months old now. They are eating & doing fine. I don't need to supplement them. (I just gave them worming shots today too). Hopefully they continue to do well.

OK good. They can do well on their own at this point.

Michele

Dear Dr. Konnersman,

I regret to inform you that this evening I had to put my goat down. Cry She couldn't stand, and she was flopping like a fish, and twisting her head in wierd directions, and crying. I couldn't stand to see her like that, so we put her down. Thanks for helping me do everything that I could. (Mary from Ireland WV)

I am sorry to hear that you lost her.

Michele

Michele Konnersman
Michele Konnersman
Michele Konnersman, Large Animal Vet