Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

It's a relatively new laptop. I haven't had much

Customer Question
Hi, it's a relatively...

Hi, it's a relatively new laptop. I haven't had much familiarization with Windows 10. I'm trying to use a data card reader in the USB port but it doesn't seem to recognize the drive. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your laptop?

Lenovo Ideapad 110

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your IdeaPad? Have you installed any updates recently?

I think some updates have been done automatically while logged in to WIFI.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's all I need now.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Laptop
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Laptop technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. If it is a specialty device, you may need to install a specific driver for it. Did it come with any software?

It's a USB universal card reader to access digital photographs. It worked ok on windows 7 systems.

Windows 10 is a bit different. Do you have the make and model of the reader?

I have two and neither work. Try DX-CR501.

The drive was discontinued by Dynex sometime ago, which means there are no drivers available for Windows 10. Have you tried different USB ports?

I tried the other port. Doesn't work.
The other reader is KESD-USBA (9331)

Okay. As inexpensive as they are, you may want to look at updating what you have? Check this LINK and see what you think.

the answer is that these card readers don't work with Windows 10? I can afford a new card reader but doesn't seem right.

I don't disagree with you, but that happens regularly when trying to use older hardware. You might be able to make your reader work by trying different drivers, but with cost being minimal to replace it, it just isn't worth the headache.