Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Sorry, i was trying to connect a computer to a toshiba

Customer Question
Hello sorry...

Hello sorry, i was trying to connect a computer to a toshiba tv---can you hel me with this?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Its a dell windows 7

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

So i had this dell connected to a monitor/tv previously---just bought the toshiba tv, but when i use the remote to try different inputs, it just says no video

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I dont think so thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Laptop
5/30/2018
Laptop technician: Wes, Consultant replied 2 months ago
Wes
Wes, Consultant

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be advising you today. What cable are you using to connect the computer to the TV?

i have an hdmi cable

What was the model number of the Dell laptop?

We may not need to do the remote, so you can ignore that for now if you want.

it is a dell optiplex gx620 we had previously had this hooked up to another monitor/tv and boughtt the new toshiba tv just recently

Okay so you know you have to "turn on" the external display with a Fn key combination right?

Sometimes holding the windows key and hitting P will also bring up the external display menu.

we plug into a SIIG display link certified adaptor which is where the hdmi cable comes from
we never have to turn on anything--it has always just been plug and play

okay, this is a desktop too... usually people are trying to connect a laptop... if this is the only display it connects to... hmmm

Okay, do you have a separate video card or are you plugging into one of the ports that's right off the motherboard?

Is the TV a full 1080p display as well? I've seen problems with connecting PCs to older 720p TVs/displays.

it is a usb cable that goes into the adaptor (so just from a normal usb port)

It's a USB to HDMI adapter?

Do you have another display set as primary then?

there is a monitor sitting with the computer

okay, right click out on the desktop and select screen resolution... does it show 2 displays?

it does show 2 displays

Okay, click on the dropdown next to "Display" change that to 2 and make sure the resolution is set to 1920x1080

Then try clicking on identify

i thought that was going to do it------i updated to 1920x1080---it idenified it, but when i wen to the tv, it still is no luck on all 3 hdmi input possibilities

Okay, make sure you look at the port you're connected to on the TV, see which HDMI input it is and select that on the TV and leave it there while we're troubleshooting.

Are you using windows 7? Or 8 or 10?

7

Okay in the start menu, you should have "Connect to a Projector" at the top, try clicking on that.

Were you able to get the system to work with the Toshiba TV?