Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I am trying to start my toshiba satellite c55-a, but only…

I am trying to...

I am trying to start my toshiba satellite c55-a, but only get the message "no bootable device please restart system. can I download a boot instructions onto a memory stick and restart my system that way? or how do I get my computer running again?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Satellite?

Windows 10. i upgraded to it back in August.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Satellite? Have you installed any updates recently?

I haven't installed anything myself. the system does its own updates and they have always seemed to be a problem. I have not had very good luck with this computer over the last couple of years.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I just need to get this thing running so I can use my quickbooks for my business.

3/27/2018
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist

Good morning/afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today!

Please let me know more about the issue so I can best assist you. Also any error messages you're seeing as well and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Is it just that error message that you're seeing right now?

Specialist Sean S.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
when I turn the computer on, I see the toshiba logo, then I get a message in the upper left screen that says “checking media” then “fail” right beside it...then “checking media” again...then the screen clears and new screen comes up with “ no bootable device — please reboot system.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Good luck. I don’t how you connect to it if it won’t boot up

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=fb60ca13-ceb7-4371-8e94-b36fa19608fa

^^... Thank you!... Go to this link and follow all the prompts. I'll be connected once you do. Please let me know within 5 minutes if we're not connected. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
You do realize I’m texting via my iPad... am I supposed to go to this link on my iPad?

One minute. Let me change this

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
that’s all I have on my screen right now. I can hit f2 during the boot process, but I don’t have a boot cd or anything on a memory stick with boot instructions. I don’t see anything about a safe boot in there.

Okay. So, since I can't connect, I'll cancel the secure remote support and just do the chat support on here. What this error message is saying is that the hard drive or once of the cables attached to it has died and it is not recognizing the hard drive anymore. Here are the recommend solutions:

1) You'll want to replace the hard drive. Hard drives dying are common depending on several situations. I can recommend one for you based on what you currently have

2) Then you'll need to reinstall Windows 10 if that's what it had. I can point you to the download for this and then you'll need to put it on a USB drive

3) Once that's complete, you should be good to go, but you'll have to reinstall your programs again

There's a slight chance (about 40%) that you can retrieve all of your documents and items from your old hard drive, but you'd need to buy a USB SATA converter to do this (about $10 at WalMart) and then you'd be able to see if you can. Let me know your thoughts and I'll post the links to the things you'll need

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The original unit came with windows 8.0 originally when I bought it. I immediately upgraded to 8.1 and always had issues with this computer. I had to totally wipe the computer in August this last year and started from scratch and installed windows 10 at that time. Do you think it is wise to try and resurrect this thing?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
There’s not much data on this except for my quickbooks which I’d like to recover. When I did this in August, I transferred most everything onto a portable hard drive and that’s where most everything is.

It comes down to preference. Honestly, from an IT standpoint, if this computer has consistently been giving you issues, I wouldn't. My reasoning is that after 3 years, other parts will start to degrade and can cause more of a headache. It wouldn't be a big issue to be able to transfer the information from that hard drive to another computer if needed to, but since you said you don't have much, then it comes down to user preference again.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
How do I transfer the data off of this hard drive onto another drive? This USB SATA thing from Walmart?

Yes. Do you have a specific store you'd prefer to get it from or an online vendor like Amazon?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’d probably go with Amazon...I love spending my money there! Do I pull the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up?

Okay. You'll want the one then ---> CLICK HERE

And yes...you connect one end on each of the ports on the hard drive. One is for power and the other is for the usb adapter. It basically converts it to a USB drive and if the hard drive is recognized, then you can transfer it off onto the other computer

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I guess if I get another laptop, it will already have windows 10 on it, so I’ll just need to reload my quickbooks onto it. Hopefully I can recover the data so I don’t have to re-enter several months of data. That will suck if I have to do that.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’ll offer that thing momentarily so I can try to recover the data.

Okay. let me know if you'd like any help or assistance with that or any other questions and I'll be happy to help!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok. Thanks! I will. I’m not getting charged for the remote hookup, right?

Correct. It should be fixed and will reflect that once it's processed

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok...thanks. How do I get in touch with you if I need help again?

There should've been a link in your e-mail that says Expert has responded. That link will take you back to this chat. If I'm off-line, I'll get an e-mail that you replied and will do my best to reply ASAP, but sometimes it will be later that day, etc.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok. Thanks.
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S.