Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Mate have a toshiba laptop have removed the hard drive and…

Customer Question
Hi mate have a...

Hi mate have a toshiba laptop have removed the hard drive and hooked it up as a external drive computer recognises the drive in computer management but not in my computer 960 gig unregnised drive when i try to inishilise it comes up with i/o error can y help please

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

No

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

Yes removed it from laptop and hooked it up on nother computer as a external

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thats it thanks pearl

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Laptop
3/25/2018
Laptop technician: UranIT, Network Administrator replied 1 month ago
UranIT
UranIT, Network Administrator

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will try my best to assist you.
Please allow me a minute to review your question and prepare an answer, or I may ask more questions for clarification

What is the exact model of your external harddrive?
Do you use PC? If so, which version of Windows do you use, 7, 8, 10?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Toshiba, MQ01ABD100H ABT
Laptop, windows 10 operating system
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you could tell me how to initialize the disk and remove the i/o error that would be great

how is the hard drive connected to laptop? to which port exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as i said the harddrive has been removed from laptop i have hooked it up on another computer as a usb

May I connect to your computer securely to troubleshoot the issue directly?
Once connected, I can troubleshoot the problem and resolve it right on your screen

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Id prefer if you could just help me initialize the disk without remote access

There is obviously an issue somewhere and that is why you cannot just simply initialize.

how did you connect HDD to laptop? which USB port? USB2 or USB3? directly to laptop or via some hub?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was connected via USB 2

is the connector that you use powered? meaning does it have a power source or all power comes from USB port of the laptop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Directly into the PC, but i can put it through a powered outlet if you think that is the problem

it could be, maybe there is not enough power supplied by USB2 port. usually USB3 is recommended or powered adapters.

yes, either not enough power or bad drive in general.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the solution?

Use a powered adapter or USB3 hardware. thats number one.

then try on a different PC

if both fails - its the issue with the drive - call manufacturer if under warranty or get a new one

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The drive is still operating, it is recognized in disk management. so it is obviously a MBR problem. How do i initialize the this disk so i can reformat it?

sure, let me opt out so another expert help you with this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry about that you have not helped me at all. I have requested a refund from Paypal. You did not resolve my issue. Regards ***** *****
Laptop technician: technicalcat, Computer Technician replied 1 month ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Computer Technician

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you now.

Do you still need help with this issue?

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not happy with paying $66. and not getting a resolution to my question. The other technician told me to contact Toshiba which is advice not worth $66

I can certainly help you and make an accurate diagnosis on this problem. However, as the previous expert suggested, the hard drive you have may be defective. So long as you will be satisfied with the diagnosis, even if it does result in the drive being defective.

If so, please tell me the make and model of this adapter or dock you are using.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i was not happy with the diag he gave me The drive is recognized in computer management as a unrecognised 660 gig harddrive listed as disk2 in management so it is not a hardware problem obviously the drive spins up but when trying to initulise comes up with i/o error which means in out error maybe mbr ?? lost I will look elsewhere for the answer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the drive is certainally corupt but can be recovered if i can format it and recover the data

It really sounds like you have already made a diagnosis, and are just looking for confirmation on that, whether it is correct or not.

I'm sorry, but I've diagnosed and replaced hundreds of failing hard drives, and a drive spinning up or being shown in disk management does not mean that it is not defective. Also, if you can't access it with a drive letter to proceed with format, then windows disk management is not fully connecting with it - hence the I/O error. I can walk you through some more steps to fully diagnose this , but there is a good chance the drive is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
spot on you are right No thanks i thought y might have been able to help me but not happy with the response please give me a rebate 66 as i have not got answers to the problem cheers Rob
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer