Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Toshiba convertible laptop. Recently on heavy use, the

Customer Question
Toshiba convertible laptop. Recently...

Toshiba convertible laptop. Recently on heavy use, the computer screen flashes to black twice to three times, then shuts off. Then does the same thing once powered back up. When I put the laptop in tablet mode it will not shut down and there are no other problems.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Toshiba laptop?

Window 10

Technician's Assistant: Does your Toshiba laptop make any noise when rebooted? Are any of the LED lights on?

No noise. I don't know what you mean by led lights.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Laptop
3/23/2018
Laptop technician: bbao, Senior Laptop User replied 3 months ago
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

Please start the computer into BIOS mode, which has no Windows loaded, and keeps it on for hours. Let me know if you can observe the exact same problem or not. Thanks.

I would not be able to observe the same problem not having windows opened since I would not be able to be using the computer. When the computer sits idle it will stay on indefinitely, so I will not observe the same problems.

Please try BIOS mode.

1. Power off the computer completely.

2. Power on and immediately press F1, F12 or ESC key to enter BIOS mode. Only one key will work, depending on your computer model. Try it separately.

3. Stay in BIOS mode for hours and see how it goes.

As I stated in my complaint, the only time I experience unexpected shut down is when windows is running, I'm in laptop mode and Under heavy use. In tablet mode the machine will run for weeks no matter the usage.
bbao, I don't think you're getting me. And what you're saying has no relevance to my issue.
Laptop technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 3 months ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

How long ago did you first notice that the issue started to happen?

I'll be waiting for your reply, thank you.

Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

Around January. Were you able to catch up on the conversation with the other tech?

Have you tried running a system refresh it wont delete your files but it will reinstall windows?

That would probably be our most reliable bet. But first, go to the toshiba support site and download the newest VGA / Graphics driver and install it. Once installed restart the computer and test. if that doesnt work, try refreshing the pc.

Let me know if you get stuck or if either of these suggestions work..

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Thank you Dustin I have done a complete system Reset. Does what I'm saying about the computer make sense to you? That it works perfectly fine in tablet mode, for all the usage I can put it through, but in laptop mode, I can't make it through 30 minutes of surfing the internet and working in a couple of windows software programs.

have you tried updating the video driver from the toshiba site yet?

if not, do so. if you have. Then try pressing the windows key and P, you may be stick in multiple monitor mode.

See if cycling through the windows P options and choosing pc screen only fixes the issue.

Dustin S.

Dustin, It is in PC SCREEN ONLY mode. But as I tested, the computer using the in board keyboard are and windows button, it shut down on me again. I have started back in tablet mode once again and now I'm using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse. There are a slew of graphic drivers, but I need to understand why everything would work fine in tablet mode but shut down on me in laptop mode.

In tablet mode, try hitting windows P, do you see the projection modes? If so change it to pc screen only

Dustin, as I said above it is in PC SCREEN ONLY mode. I don't understand why you won't acknowledge my questions or the statements that I make?

did you try updating the drivers from toshiba?

Drivers are installing now. Are you unable to acknowledge anything I say?

Because, Ive been suggestig the drivers and until we do that, other steps are pre mature.

Drivers are installed and I'm rebooting now.
Same issue. Now can you please explain the possible reasoning behind the facts that I've continued to state concerning my issue?