Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Toshiba convertible laptop. Recently on heavy use, the

Customer Question

toshiba convertible laptop. Recently on heavy use, the computer screen flashes to black twice to three times, then shuts off. Then does the same thing once powered back up. When I put the laptop in tablet mode it will not shut down and there are no other problems.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Toshiba laptop?
Customer: Window 10
JA: Does your Toshiba laptop make any noise when rebooted? Are any of the LED lights on?
Customer: No noise. I don't know what you mean by led lights.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  bbao replied 8 months ago.

Please start the computer into BIOS mode, which has no Windows loaded, and keeps it on for hours. Let me know if you can observe the exact same problem or not. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would not be able to observe the same problem not having windows opened since I would not be able to be using the computer. When the computer sits idle it will stay on indefinitely, so I will not observe the same problems.
Expert:  bbao replied 8 months ago.

Please try BIOS mode.

1. Power off the computer completely.

2. Power on and immediately press F1, F12 or ESC key to enter BIOS mode. Only one key will work, depending on your computer model. Try it separately.

3. Stay in BIOS mode for hours and see how it goes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I stated in my complaint, the only time I experience unexpected shut down is when windows is running, I'm in laptop mode and Under heavy use. In tablet mode the machine will run for weeks no matter the usage.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
bbao, I don't think you're getting me. And what you're saying has no relevance to my issue.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

How long ago did you first notice that the issue started to happen?

I'll be waiting for your reply, thank you.

Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Around January. Were you able to catch up on the conversation with the other tech?
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Have you tried running a system refresh it wont delete your files but it will reinstall windows?

That would probably be our most reliable bet. But first, go to the toshiba support site and download the newest VGA / Graphics driver and install it. Once installed restart the computer and test. if that doesnt work, try refreshing the pc.

Let me know if you get stuck or if either of these suggestions work..

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Dustin I have done a complete system Reset. Does what I'm saying about the computer make sense to you? That it works perfectly fine in tablet mode, for all the usage I can put it through, but in laptop mode, I can't make it through 30 minutes of surfing the internet and working in a couple of windows software programs.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

have you tried updating the video driver from the toshiba site yet?

if not, do so. if you have. Then try pressing the windows key and P, you may be stick in multiple monitor mode.

See if cycling through the windows P options and choosing pc screen only fixes the issue.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dustin, It is in PC SCREEN ONLY mode. But as I tested, the computer using the in board keyboard are and windows button, it shut down on me again. I have started back in tablet mode once again and now I'm using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse. There are a slew of graphic drivers, but I need to understand why everything would work fine in tablet mode but shut down on me in laptop mode.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

In tablet mode, try hitting windows P, do you see the projection modes? If so change it to pc screen only

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dustin, as I said above it is in PC SCREEN ONLY mode. I don't understand why you won't acknowledge my questions or the statements that I make?
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

did you try updating the drivers from toshiba?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Drivers are installing now. Are you unable to acknowledge anything I say?
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Because, Ive been suggestig the drivers and until we do that, other steps are pre mature.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Drivers are installed and I'm rebooting now.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same issue. Now can you please explain the possible reasoning behind the facts that I've continued to state concerning my issue?