Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have an apple mac-book pro. didn't get a manual of any…

Customer Question
I have an apple...

I have an apple mac-book pro. didn't get a manual of any kind. I have forgot my password. (not the one for installing to HDD) how cani retrieve it or enter a new one.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I have an apple mac-book pro. didn't get a manual of any kind. I have forgot my password. (not the one for installing to HDD) how cani retrieve it or enter a new one.Pearl Wilson, Laptop Technician's Assistant
When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?it is new refurbished grade A. only one password ***** been intered. 3-16-18.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Laptop
3/19/2018
Laptop technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 4 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Good evening! It is possible to recover your Apple ID and reset the password, but you would need to know the ID itself. Typically, it would be your email address.

To recover your account and reset the password, please open a web browser on your computer and navigate to: iforgot.apple.com

Where prompted, enter your Apple ID (which is probably your email address). You will also need to enter some text to prove you are not a robot. (Tip: if you can't read the text, just keep clicking until you can.)

The next step will depend on the type of security you have set up for your Apple account. If you have set up two-step verification or two-factor authentication this will involve receiving details via another device.

If you haven't set up either of these extra levels of security it will be a case of getting an email or answering some security questions.

Hope that helps! If you need additional assistance, please let us know :-)

I AM NOT ON LINE. THE COMPUTER IS NEW, NEVER USED THIS COMPUTER. HAD TYPED IN A PASSWORD ***** Friday, was tyring to set up ma wyfi account, and qui for the evening. now no password ***** continue, can't get on the computer.

I understand now...thank you for the clarification. In this case, you'll just want to reset the computer in order to start the setup from scratch.

Step 1

Shut down your MacBook Pro. Plug it into the AC adapter, and then turn it back on. Press and hold “Command-R” (the “Command” and “R” keys at the same time) to start the restore process. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen, and then release them. You will be taken to an alternative boot screen with a “Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Step 2

In order to complete a system restore, you will need to connect your computer to the Internet. Select “Wi-Fi” from the Utilities menu and find the router you will be using. Enter your Wi-Fi username and password ***** connect.

Step 3

Depending on which version of OS X you are using, your Utilities menu will be slightly different. Look for either “Internet Recovery” or “OS X Recovery,” and select whichever one you find. This should present you with a “Reinstall OS X” option. Click on it, and then wait as your MacBook Pro connects to the Internet and gathers information on your laptop from Apple servers.

You may be prompted to provide your Apple account information, including username and password. If so, provide it. In any case, this process will eventually reach the point where your MacBook downloads the latest version of OS X, as well as the standard programs that Apple includes pre-installed on every laptop. Your hard drive will then be automatically formatted, and the computer will restore itself to factory settings.

Hello! Just quickly checking back in to make sure your issue is now resolved? When you have the chance, would you kindly let me know? Thanks so much for using JustAnswer.com!