Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

7-mo. old laptop. Last week got one of several requests for…

7-mo. old laptop. Last...

7-mo. old laptop. Last week got one of several requests for updates. One was a BIOS refresh, if I recall correctly. I closed all running applications, and said, yes, go ahead and update. Left computer alone for an hour (maybe a little more). Came back, figuring it should be done with its update; maybe I figured wrong. Now it does not boot at all. (And no, there no helpful little kids or teenagers to mess with it, and the cats and dogs haven’t figured out how to “help.” I’m trying to keep my good humor on this, but with a $5K+ laptop, it’s a little hard. (Still have old Thinkpad I was able to keep when I left IBM that Lenovo laptop replaced, but I definitely need help with the latter.) HELP!! Thank you.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your ThinkPad?

One that came with it. I would guess Windows 10. And yes I do let OS (and Microsoft) take care of the updates “automagically.”

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your ThinkPad (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

Nope. Presume it should be plugged in for this. Do you want to hang on?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Pearl, let me try the PRAM reset.

3/20/2018
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

Evidently, even without 'helpful' children or animals, as you put it, there was a bad event happening somehow that affected the update in question of the BIOS or firmware of the laptop.

BIOS or firmware updates, that go the least bit wrong, can effectively destroy the function of a device, e.g. by destroying its ability to basically run itself, or its ability to start up at all. This being what you have observed, I would assume the operating firmware of the laptop has been destroyed or wiped or corrupted.

Now since your laptop is only 7 months old, I think it (the failure of the laptop) is covered by warranty.

(A PRAM reset was suggested by our automated receptionist, but applies only to Apple computers, really. Being a Lenovo laptop, that suggestion is invalid.)

So: whatever manufacturer made the laptop (e.g. Lenovo, or HP, or Dell, etc., would be the maker name...) you need to put in a failed-within-warranty claim on the laptop. It will have to be shipped off to the factory service center for repair, and you may need to present proof-of-purchase-date, showing that this laptop is less than 1 year old. (1 year is the usual base manufacturer's warranty for a good electronic device.)

Tell me the maker name and I will give you further specifics on making a warranty claim.

(Or, if this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

Ad if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Laptop (ordered from Lenovo directly) is maxed out Lenovo (plus accessories). I have order no. (R4290483964). I know (or at least I think I know) s/n is under battery. Need help with getting s/n. I am “guessing” battery is on the long edge of the laptop (under the Thinkpad logo which lights up red and sometime blinks, depending on what you are doing). There is an unlock mechanism (slide left to unlock, right to lock). To the right of that sliding unlock bar is a keyboard icon with a tiny graphic picture I cannot interpret, and to the right of that is a 3/4” wide x approx. 1/16” horizontal hole. Since sliding the locking mechanism to the left doesn’t accomplish much, what am I missing? Thanks again!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russell, I don’t see how, in this case, if the BIOS IS corrupted you’ll be able to connect to the laptop, or do you have powers to that remotely??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russell, I don’t see how, in this case, if the BIOS IS corrupted you’ll be able to connect to the laptop, or do you have powers to do that remotely??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8220;Powers” (above) should be “magical powers.”

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

And no, Secure Remote is not likely to yield anything for this sort of problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for answer re remote solicitation. However, need suggestion for getting serial number.

As for Contacting Lenovo (and thank you for letting me know the maker name etc. in response):

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

is where you contact them for warranty repair.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/services-warranty/consumer/

is where to get info about Lenovo's warranty coverage and matters of that sort.

I am interested in your description of the lock and the keyboard icon,but I think this is unlikely to be helped by either one.

Serial number? give me a moment, please...

In a Thinkpad, the serial number is ***** the underside, or perhaps underneath the battery.

If the Machine Type model information is needed, it is located just next to the serial number

Serial Number - 7812XXX Machine Type - 2668 Machine Type Model - 2668KHU for example.

This is an image of the maker's label with the serial # etc.:

http://download.lenovo.com/km/Media/images/common/images/2017/nlabel.gif

If this answers your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAswer page.... A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you, ***** ***** luck.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russell, I know it is on the underside, and sometimes on a metallic label. However, as you point out, it is sometimes under the battery. It is the “under the battery” that I am having a problem with. Would it help if I took a photo of the underside and sent it to you??

Yes, please do! Post it with your reply using the ADD+ button, I think, on the JustAnswer question page. I'll be pleased to look at it, and instruct you and/or post a slightly edited version with a pointer to the right place.

Thank you, ***** ***** the case admirably:

1. unlock with the switch (it's a battery-lock-in-place switch, I think.)

2. remove battery (rectangular, adjacent to the lock switch.)

3. look under it - not on the battery, but where the battery is when it is not removed. The serial # label should be there.

Let me know, please. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it is a battery-lock-in-place switch, I can’t figure out the “lock in place” part. The slider only goes as far as the “unlock” icon. There is a tiny isosceles triangle on the slider which points up, but even pressing up at the same time I slide left does get me any further. Guess what, I tried pressing the slider back to the right, and it clicks to “lock.” HOWEVER, pressing the slider left doesn’t lock in place, and I can’t figure out how to open the compartment. (Maybe it is actually locked in place open, when slid to the left.) But how do you get that black cover piece off to get to the battery to get UNDER it? (Pleeze, more hardware help—not my strong point.)

Hold the lock switch in the unlock position (or it will snap back to Locked), turn over the laptop, and the battery should just fall out... don't get hit by it, don't drop it onto a hard surface or the floor.

The black cover *is* the battery, one side of it. There's a finger-recess to help 'pry' out the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wonder if that’s what those two really tiny screws are for; they are at the bottom in the beveled edge.. just saw you answering...Guess not...Finger recess, HA!! No way. Maybe for midgets.
I have already broken two fingernails in this exercise. (I can take a picture��.) Hang on, I am going to go get a fat flat-bladed screwdriver, and a towel to see if I can get some purchase on this sucker...

Don't 'pry' literally! The two small screws may be just what you need to undo first.

There is only one finger recess - it is within 2 inches or so of the 'Pro Windows' label.

This video may help!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAO6V5dfcc

and once again: Please, do not pry with a screwdriver! that will harm things, not help!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Darn! Lost my message while I was taking a photo of serial number. Doesn’t seem to indicate a machine type (or is that the “8SSB” at the beginning of the “serial number”? Lenovo does a lot of things differently than IBM did...) Will this do it for getting support, do you think?

Perhaps. But just contact them and ask - if it's the battery's serial # then they'll tell you for sure.

And, look inside the laptop where the battery was: is there a label there? that's where the laptop's serial # would be, more likely (- I admit I cannot read the label you photographed, so I'm not sure which it is.)

(If this answers your question and you're done with the case, please rate my answer. Thank you! and good luck.)

Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Think this will be the last one ... INSIDE the battery compartment is a label. Begins with IMEI: 01458 followed by a string of 10 or 11 more numbers. HOPE THIS DOES IT!!! And I’ll soon go off to raid the refrigerator... and BTW
RUSSELL H. (laptop technician) ROCKS!!
(IPhone battery down to 22%)

The IMEI is actually an Apple serial number system. Very puzzling... I cannot explain it.

Well... you can also get the serial # from the command prompt (no good with a black screen!)

Contact them with what numbers you have. It's the best that can be done. You did your work on it, and so did I.

Your serial number for the laptop should begin with S/N, period.

Like this image:

From your pictures taken, I think show one thing clearly "REGULATORY LABELS UNDER BATTERY." Not on the battery itself though. For further direction, photograph the within-the-battery-compartment for me and post it.

Good luck, in short. And thank you for asking your question here at JustAswer.

Russell H., Computer Support Specialist