Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have an Acer Chromebook 11 CB3 141, but some keys are not…

Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an Acer Chromebook 11 CB3 141, but some keys are not working. I don't know if it crashed or something because I read that these computers have built in antivirus protection

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Chromebook?

I'm really not sure because I never changed the settings

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Chromebook? Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

But the key next to #1, the five, six and dash keys are not working and I have my dissertation to work on

Is calling going to cost me extra? because I cant afford all these charges
Everything is working ok, except that the computer has the tendency to shut down and I have to keep restarting and copy and paste the keys that I specified when I need to use them
I was reading about a hard reset but I do not want to lose all my info and stuff. Then I saw youtube showing how to go in and fix wires but i am no expert and not doing that neither
Is this site a joke how is that no one has even responded to none of my messages?
it has been over an hour and to date nothing is being done
3/17/2018
Pete, Computer Expert

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Sorry for the delay, I have just come online and I see you have been waiting for some time!

-

Plug in another keyboard and use it to sign out of your account, then sign back in again.

If that doesn't work, try a hard reset:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606?hl=en&source=genius-helpouts&vid=0-1037812478148-1521316781906

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Like seriously? I have done all of that and nothing has changed.

When asked "What have you tried so far with your Chromebook?" you did not mention this....

What else have you already tried?

I used the ctrl+alt +shift+r, also power+refresh, hard reset my computer back to factory. I'm not sure there's anything else to do. I'm in the process of reinstalling my regular apps but the problems persist

Ok, so you have done a Powewash as well.

If the problem still persists after that then the problem is with the keyboard itself.

What all keys are not working?

4 keys in total, the one below the rec (before #1), numbers 5 and 6, and the -/_ keys
I meant the esc key

Ok, so all along the same row?

There may be a loose or broken connection inside the Chromebook which is preventing that row from working.

A technician can open it up and check that the ribbon cable is securely attached and not damaged.

--------------------

Pete.

--------------------

I am really not going to risk spending 39USD because there is no guarantee the problem will be resolved. That's over $100 in my local currency. An external keyboard will be cheaper. Thanks you

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site and not by me.

Pete, Computer Expert