Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have a Latitude E5440/E5540 laptop- well out of warranty.

Customer Question
I have a Latitude...

I have a Latitude E5440/E5540 laptop- well out of warranty. The PC was in sleep mode, so I obviously was able to logon. When I returned and entered my password, the error message "User Profile Service failed the logon " showed up. Hitting OK just rebooted the computer. Can't find a way to start in safe mode. No hardware has been added or removed. The system is running Windows 8.1 unknown service pack.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Latitude? Have you installed any updates recently?

Windows automatically installs patches from time to time- not sure when the last one took place, haven't installed a new app for a few weeks.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

There are no other users installed on the system, so can't try to logon through that method.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Laptop
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there?
3/15/2018
Laptop technician: FRAN, Computer replied 1 month ago
FRAN
FRAN, Computer

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, what's the answer to my technical issue question?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not sure how you will connect to my laptop?
Laptop technician: syseng, Information Systems Manager replied 1 month ago
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Manager

My name is David.

Reboot and select the Power button at the Windows login screen. Then, press

and hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and click Restart.
Select Troubleshoot.
Select Advanced options.
Select Startup Settings.
Select Safe Mode with Networking.
Reboot into Safe Mode and login and let me know if you have access again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Every combination of shift and power key sequences results in a power down, or a blank screen

Ok then press CTRL + ALT + DEL together and select to Start Task Manager. In Task Manager click the File menu then click New Task (Run) and type

msconfig

in the Run box and press Enter.

In the window that appears click the Boot tab, select Safe Mode, select Network, click Apply, click OK, then restart in Safe Mode with Networking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I enter my password ***** get the profile service error, the system does not respond to Ctrl alt del . The keyboard works as I can enter the password, and the mouse works as well

Do you have a Windows 8 installation disc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dell shipped a 8.1 recovery DVD with the system. On power up the system checks the DVD, but doesn't access it. I don't have an installation disk

When you boot with the DVD in the drive, start tapping the F12 key and a boot menu should appear. Select to boot from the CD/DVD drive and it should then boot from the DVD.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, am booting from the DVD, thanks, what's next?

There should be a startup repair option - if so I recommend that you select that first. If not, please let me know the options it makes available.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to go to a lecture, will pick this up tomorrow. Thanks so much

Ok, sounds good. I will be available tomorrow as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I am back!when starting from the DVD, the display shows 3 Boot options: Legacy Boot; UEFI Boot; Other Options. Under Legacy, there are 3 options: Internal HDD; CD/DVD..; Onboard NIC.
I tried the DVD option which instructed me to remove the DVD and restart the computer - there was no success in logon following that method either.
So, am reedy for more help

Try again but select the UEFI option then let me know the options available or select DVD if presented and let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, am running the diagnostics at present -
started the UEFI option, which selected DVD - system did a standard boot to the windows login- get the same error-
'user profile service cannot be loaded'
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tried UEFI again, hitting F12 as it started booting, and am now loading system setup files

Ok, very good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
now the screen has Windows 8 'Install now' should I do that? won't that remove all my settings, files, apps etc.

Don't select that option, there should be a troubleshooting option as well.

If there is no troubleshooting option, click the link below and download the Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 8.1:

click here

Then run the tool and follow the prompts to create either a bootable DVD or bootable USB flash drive you can use to start the troubleshooting tools that can be used to fix the login problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is an option 'repair your computer' - should I choose that?
not sure how to download files to the laptop as I can't get into the system

Yes select the repair your computer option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
under repair, I can see advanced options - should I restore to a former point, or use the command prompt to get into the registry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there are a couple of other options as well

Yes, select restore to a former point - that would be the best option if it works, then select a restore point that is dated prior to when the issue first occurred.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, will be off line for awhile

Ok, I will check back once you post the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still frustrated- choosing the System Restore says 'specify which windows installation to restore - restart the computer select an operating system then system restore'. If I restart the computer without the DVD, just the ususal logon prompt screen shows, which of course doesn't work. If I use the DVD to boot, there is no place to select an operating system
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I am going to have to go into Regedit and hopefully not screw it up!

Ok then instead select the command line option and do the following:

On the command prompt type:

chkdsk c: /f

and press Enter, let it scan and fix errors.

Next type the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and let it scan and fix corruption.

Next type the following command:

sfc /scannow

and press Enter and let it scan and fix corruption. Then reboot the

computer.

Test to see if the issue is resolved and let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got through the first steps OK, but the computer says DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option- when I jumped to the sfc scannow command, the computer says there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete- so I will reboot and get there again- I hope!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got the same message again with scannow - repair pending needs reboot.

Ok then reboot and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, still the same problem

Ok then back on the command prompt run the following command:

DISM /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At least on system, dism doesn't have any options regarding cleanup. I ran the dism /? Exe to get all the commands. There are a few
I ran clean up-wim and -mount points which completed successfully
Still get the same result

That is odd - it must be a special version of the DISM tool released for the image troubleshooting environment.

At this point I am going to open up this question to other experts that may have additional ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Laptop technician: bbao, Senior Laptop User replied 1 month ago
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

Does the Toshiba laptop belong to an Active Directory domain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the laptop is a DELL, not a Toshiba, and I don't recall if there is an active directory domain
bbao
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User