Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

My Compaq CQ57 says "BOOTMGR is missing. Can you fix this?

Customer Question
My Compaq CQ57 says "BOOTMGR...
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Laptop
3/15/2018
Laptop technician: syseng, Information Systems Manager replied 3 months ago
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Manager

My name is David.

Is the computer running Windows 7?

Also, do you have a Windows installation disc?

I bought the computer with the hard drive wiped. I bought the installation discs and installed Windows 7 on the computer (I think). When all three discs were finished I tried to start the computer and the okly thing it will do is say "BOOTMGR is missing. So I don't know if Windows7 is running, and Yes, I have the discs.
Thank you for offering to remotely fix my computer, but I can not hook to the internet. Actually, I can not do anything with it.

Please disregard the offers for remote assistance - those are automated messages from the Just Answer system and not from me.

Next do the following:

Boot from the installation DVD

At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer.

Select Troubleshoot.

Select the Command Prompt.

At the Command Prompt type the following commands:

bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

Follow each command by pressing Enter. Then reboot, remove the DVD and test to see if it boots.

I pressed the on button.
When the "Press the ESC key came up, I opened the DVD player and inserted Disc 1 of the installation discs.
I shut off the computer.
I pressed the on button.
When the "Press the ESC" message came up, I pressed the ESC key and changed to the DVD player as the primary drive.
I pressed the ESC key to start the computer.
No Welcome icon came up. The screen said "BOOTMGR is missing".I tried

Sounds like after you configure the DVD player as the primary drive you needed to press Enter instead of ESC as ESC will usually exit you from the menu and reboot the computer without changing the boot order, which would explain why the computer did not boot from the DVD. So try it again except when you select the DVD drive press Enter and look for a prompt at the bottom of the screen that will tell you if there is another key to press in order to boot.

If not sure please take a picture of the screen and post it here so I can review.

I will be happy to pay you if you will continue to help me. Right nowI am waiting on my wife to get a flash drive, like you suggested.
Ok thanks and no worries. Just let me know when you are ready to proceed with the next step.
Sorry it took me so long. Retried everything and nothing happened. What do you want a picture of?

No worries :)

A picture of the screen where you select to boot from the DVD - I would like to see what actions are prompted on the screen to save the setting and to cancel the changes.

Ok, thanks. So next bring up that menu then press F9 to select Boot Options and then highlight the DVD option and press Enter and the computer should boot from DVD.

I did that. It loads the Windows program, but when I go back and try to start Windows, the computer says, :BOOYMGR is missing."

Ok good. So let me know if you performed the following procedure that I posted above when the computer booted up from the DVD:

Select Troubleshoot.

Select the Command Prompt.

bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

The Welcome Screen never comes on, it just says, BOOTMGR is missing".