Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have toshiba tv model 32HL17 lcd tv. My cable provider…

I have toshiba tv...

I have toshiba tv model 32HL17 lcd tv. My cable provider at&t says it is a tv problem. The situation is tv turns on for 30 seconds then turns off after having picture and sound. I need talk to person at your end do do tv test.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your 32HL17?

What is OS system? I have AT&T service cable.

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your 32HL17? Have you installed any updates recently?

I am age 81, I need and update? Situation is the at&t cable box is new and they had me disconnect the att box from tv. The tv picture comes on then in 30 seconds it turn off totally. The green on button and yellow button blink then off in 30 seconds.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I need to talk to a live person. I have three tv in my house, but only toshliba is not working,

3/13/2018
Nathan, Systems Manager

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well over double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Systems Manager
Thanks I will try it. your suggestion. How do I get $5 refund?
Sorry I thought you were toshiba, now I find you are someone else.

You're very welcome.

No, this is not toshiba, this is a paid support service. Toshiba would not even speak to you in the first place, and would provide no support for their products beyond the 1st year while it is still under warranty.

Your $5 is not refunded, that was the fee to post your question. You'd get that back only if you didn't get an answer.

I provided the above answer, so you are charged the 5, plus the balance/total to which you agreed on the payment page. For comparison purposes, had you called a tech out, you'd be paying a minimum of a $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer.

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2EgA401

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years which is well worth it.