Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have an hp laptop that I have used since I believe 2012. I…

Customer Question
I have an hp...

I have an hp laptop that I have used since I believe 2012. I have often used my chip reader to upload pictures to facebook. Recent upgrades have made that reader not recognized.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your HP laptop?

Windows 10, I think is the answer, but I am not a tech kind of person. I peck and find and get confused. I am 65 years old.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Facebook?

Every thing seems to have automatically up dated over about a 3 day span of time recently. Google, Microsoft, Facebook, emails, etc. I also have an HTC Android phone which I have set to sync. I'm trying to create a personal website to Blog to.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Hi, I'm Shirley

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Laptop
3/11/2018
Laptop technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

I think that we can solve this problem with your chip reader (or, memory card reader) on your computer.

There are two possible paths: one is to find out what exact chip reader it is (by getting info about your computer) and install the proper driver to activate the chip reader for Windows 10 - assuming it is not 'broken' or defective - and the other is to replace it with an external USB card reader that is fairly cheap and easy to install (you basically buy one for about $20 or $10 even, and plug its USB cable or plug into your computer, wait a few minutes, then it's usable.)

For the first approach: please tell me, reading off the manufacturer's label on the computer, what the HP computer's exact and full model # is. That will allow me to find the proper driver for the chip reader for Windows 10. Then you can install it, and hopefully that will activate the chip reader once more. Reply, let me know, and I will help you further.