Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Recently purchased a Gateway NV79 laptop. It is locked and…

Customer Question
Hi, recently purchased a...

Hi, recently purchased a Gateway NV79 laptop. It is locked and need password ***** open. The person I purchased it from says it was his cousins and trying to contact (for over a week). I know that if I remove, laptop with reset to factory. Where can I find the battery?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your NV79?

I'm not sure what that even means. It says Windows 7.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your NV79? Have you installed any updates recently?

I can't even get it to open. When I turn it on, it's asking for the password ***** I'm unable to get from the guy who sold it to me.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I know from the research I've done so far that if I remove the battery, wait, put back in, I won't have to enter the password ***** it blocking it from accessing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Laptop
3/10/2018
Laptop technician: syseng, Information Systems Manager replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Information Systems Manager

My name is David.

You can blank out the password ***** a Trinity Rescue Disc following the procedure below:

First click the link below to download the Trinity Rescue Disc image then burn the image to CD.

click here

Place the Trinity disc in the CD/DVD drive on your computer and boot using the Trinity disc (you may need to place the CD/DVD drive at the top of the boot order first).

Once the system has finished booting and a menu appears on the screen, scroll down the menu using the down arrow key to highlight the Windows password ***** option and press the Enter key.

Next, select "Winpass with prompt for username first" and press the Enter key.

Enter the username of the Administrator account for which you need to reset the password.

Select Clear (blank) user password ***** press the Enter key. This step deletes the password ***** the Administrator account.

Select the shut down the PC menu option, then remove the CD from the CD/DVD drive.

Boot the computer into the Administrator account. You should now be able to login without a password.

You can now either set a new password ***** your account by pressing the CTRL + ALT + DEL keys at the same time then select the Change Password ***** and follow the prompts to change the password.