Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

The video card of my 2 year old Acer laptop seems to be out…

Hi the video card of...
Hi the video card of my 2 year old Acer laptop seems to be out of order. Whenever it wakes up from sleep, the screen shows the image as shown in the attached picture but the sound is still there. I have to force shut it down many times because it could be on for as long as 30 minutes sometimes. While other times it seemz to be ok, with the image on or less than 5 minutes.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Thanks for your Question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the version of windows you are running on the computer please?

Thank you

Windows 10.home

ok, than do the following please

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me how it operates please

is it possiblely a hard disk issue?

Yes, it can be data corruption which this will rule out

Hi I couldn't run my laptop as administrator. I think I don't have the right, which is weird.
From the CMD prompt in DOS, it says I need to be an administrator to enter console mode. But I as shown as a local admin strategy from my Windows10 account settings. How can I really become the real administrator?
But I was shown as a local administrator from Windows10 account settings....

yes you did the initial step incorrectly, I will repeat

You did not still do the commands right..

Can I please connect and do this?

OK now I'm starting to do the commands

ok

My laptop is running the process very slowly. Still at 10 % after more than 10 minutes.

ok

Still 10% after half an hour, So is hard disk confirmed to be corrupted?

We will seem please let it complete

Still at 10% after 2 hours

It means it has a lot to repair

Hi the repairing process was too long and I went to sleep when it was still at 10% b the time I got up, the screen was black and I assumed my laptop finished running abs shut down itself. So my question is if my laptop has completed the repair and it's fine to use now?
Or should I replace it'd hard disk?
Hi the repairing process was too long and I went to sleep when it was still at 10% b the time I got up, the screen was black and I assumed my laptop finished running abs shut down itself. So my question is if my laptop has completed the repair and it's fine to use now?14 March 2018 07:47
Or should I replace it'd hard disk?

It means the repairing process finished, how is it now performing?

I tried to let it sleep and then wake up I had the grey screen again

When did this problem start?

You mean the very first time the problem showed up? I think maybe at least 2 months ago.

ok, I want to do a system restore please.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please

OK give me some time as I'm not free till Saturday and I need to sleep now. Thanks for your instructions

No problem

Ok, we will have to do a reinstall of windows.

This will remove all programs which you cannot avoid, it will not touch your data but it is best to first backup your data off the computer.

Then click start, settings, update & security, Recovery then Get Started under Reset My PC

Choose to complete the process then keep your files and it will restore windows.

Let me know how it then operates please

Will it help?

It will rule out software as the cause of the issue, so if software is causing it then yes

But are you sure software can be cause of hard disk problem?

yes is can else I would not have you do this

Richard, Laptop Specialist
I reinstalled my windows and also did a fragmentation of hard disk, I tried to wake up my laptop from sleep twice and it both could do it with no problem and even at a much faster speed. My question is have I cured my hard disk permenantly or am I just seeing a reversable improvement?

you have cured it this was the issue you had, and reinstalling it now resolved it

Wow thank you so much! :D
The laptop is worse now. There is once it couldn't even wake up from sleep. Just black screen

Ok, it is then a hardware issue, the motherboard is failing, this confirms it.

How old is the laptop?

2 years old. Is it issues with motherboard or hard disk?
Is 2 year too young to have the issues?

Motherboard, and no, 2 years is not too young, no time frame really is