Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I have a three-year-old MacBook Air and it has a warning…

I have a three-year-old MacBook...
I have a three-year-old MacBook Air and it has a warning light that the battery needs service. The problem I have is it will not charge. My question is, when the battery needs replacing is it common that it will not charge at all?When I plug it into the AC adapter it will not reflect that the battery is getting a charge. I’m hoping to have it run and just AC and not need to replace the battery.
1/19/2018
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Thanks for your Question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Yes if the battery needs replacing then it is usually the case it will not charge.

Is the Macbook though still powering on?

it is powering on and it’s at 83% charge

Thanks

We will see if it is only a firmware issue by doing the following

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Tell me if it then charges please

I did this and it seemed not to work but then I took the AC adapter plug and turned it upside down and plugged it back into the wall outlet and it started charging. Does it matter which way it would be plugged into the outlet? I am in Spain at this time and using a European AC adapter?

It does not matter which way you connect but likely it needed to be disconnected then reconnected again to start charging once we did the instructions I gave.

Glad it is fixed, and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I still have the warning on the battery that it needs to be serviced. I have a brand-new MacBook that I just opened up and used the new cord and it started charging the old one. Is it common for this cords to go bad?

they can fault at the joints, did it stop the warning with the new cord?

Richard, Laptop Specialist
Richard, Laptop Specialist