Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Dropped an ASUS Vivo laptop onto a hard table (from height…

Dropped an ASUS Vivo laptop...
Dropped an ASUS Vivo laptop onto a hard table (from height of less than 2 inches). No signs of damage, but the fan is humming audibly. It's brand-new. How sensitive is it to impact damage?
1/18/2018
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. Have you rebooted since dropping it and is the fan still humming?

Still humming. Everything else seems fine though. i can't tell if the humming is normal humming or abnormal humming. But anyway - how much of a force can a laptop like a Vivo withstand? A fall from 6 inches? Are they making laptops tougher or more delicate these days?

They are making the laptops smaller nowadays and packing as much in as possible so everything is very tight. No laptop aside from the super sturdy ones they make for use at constructions sites are really built to take a drop. Also it depends on how it lands. Since you are now hearing the fan it means that the fan may have came loose or that the laptop is getting hot so the fan is working harder to cool it down. You mentioned this is a new laptop so maybe this is just the first time you are hearing the fan but I am not sure. Laptops can get hot especially when on a table and this will cause the fans to work harder to keep everything cool and this will cause you to hear it hum. A lot of the time when we are using computers are mind blocks out the fan sounds until you shut down and you notice. I am thinking that your laptop is fine and you are just noticing the fan more because you are checking for damage from the drop. A fan hum is perfectly normal, now if the hum is really loud or sounds like its struggling or grinding then you have a problem. But this sounds to me like all is well. Keep an eye on it and let me know if does anything weird but I think it is unlikely the drop caused any damage.

OK thanks. If the laptop did sustain impact damage, what would the symptoms be? Also, is there toxic stuff inside the laptop that could be jarred into small particles by an impact, and then blown out the vents by the ventilation fans? I know many laptops contain lead or mercury.Does it make a difference that the laptop was turned off, and was not on, when I dropped it?

I don't believe any toxic stuff would be in the air. I have worked inside laptops for well over 10 years and part of being a professional tech requires certification and never once was toxic stuff in the air brought up during training. For example if I was replacing a motherboard inside a laptop I wouldn't wear a face mask or anything. So while the components inside may contain lead or mercury I have never heard of such a thing happening or it harming anyone. I have worked on smashed laptops and never had nor heard of any issue with toxins in the air so I wouldn't worry. As far as the laptop being on or off when dropped I don't see it making any different. If there was or is internal damage it would have happened if it was on or off.

If the laptop did sustain damage you may hear it making strange sounds like I described, like a struggling or grinding from the fan. Other things could be random lock ups or crashes when using which could be caused by it not staying cool enough. If it has DVD drive I would test that out to check its working right.

As always my goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Chris L., Support Specialist
Chris L., Support Specialist