Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

My screen will turn on/off intermittently. It will work for…

My screen will turn...

My screen will turn on/off intermittently. It will work for about 30 seconds, flash on and off, then turn off for an hour. Then randomly turn back on/off. It boots fine. I am currently using it with an external monitor. No issues with computer. Just the monitor. I have reinstalled bios and the graphics driver. I have also reset the PC. None of these have fixed the issue. I have taken a bright light to the front to see if the back light was just turning off. But I cannot see an image.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Toshiba Satelitte Radius 12 P25W-C2302

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Satellite? Have you installed any updates recently?

Please rrefer to previous message

1/18/2018
Kris R
Kris R, IT Manager

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

It started about 3-4 weeks ago. My computer died during a windows update. Then my computer wouldn't work at all. So I wiped the partitions and reinstalled windows. It works. But then after a day or so, the screen would just start turning off randomly. When I say off, I mean go black. I have it hooked up to an external monitor right now. Computer works fine. Screen, not so much.

Just to confirm the Laptop is not connected to power when this happens?

It happens when it is connect and when it is disconnected.

Okay, would it be OK to connect and do some tests?

I’m not paying you $39 to connect.
Not when I’m not sure you’re going to fix it

OK no problem.

We can continue without the remote (deposit plus base charges costs only)

sooo where would you like to start?

Are you able to play a YouTube clip, and tell me if the sound stops were this is happening.

This will tell me If it's the actually screen or a controller internally.

Sound works fine

OK, can you go into Event Viewer and tell me If there is anything at the hardware lelvel.

Where is hardware level in Event Viewer?
Found it, no events

Are you sure you looked in the correct one?

OK - can you go into system, and tell me If there is any in there

Kris R
Kris R, IT Manager
Now what?

OK - to allow me to connect to your PC/MAC, you must install free remote access software.

Please click on this link to the teamviewer website: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/
Click on the "Download Free" box to download and install the software on your computer.
Once installed, reboot your computer.
Upon reboot, open the software from your computer and you will see an ID and Password, please give this to me to connect.
Thanks
Kris

ID: 521 339 232
password: password1

Connected

How long do you think this will take?

Connected