Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I need to get a "Companion Diskette" for a Toshiba 4005CDS,

I need to get...

I need to get a "Companion Diskette" for a Toshiba 4005CDS, or send the required files to***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your 4005CDS?

The Recovery/Backup CD package will reload Windows 98. The hard drive crashed and I have replaced with a new one so I'm reloading from scratch

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your 4005CDS? Have you installed any updates recently?

Loading from the companion disk I have, but it is corrupted and won't complete installation.

1/17/2018
Kris R
Kris R, IT Manager

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

The computer crashed years ago, just had the hard drive tested last week and installed a new one yesterday.
The computer I'm trying to fix doesn't have access to the internet

Okay no problem.

I am going to opt out so another expert can have a go at helping as I am out of ideas.

Someone will pick this up and you will be emailed.

Thanks

Kris

I just need all of the files on the "Companion Diskette" for the 4005CDS. You can email them to me and I'll copy them to a disk.
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician

Good evening, my name is ***** ***** I am your Professional Electronics Technician Expert.

You are wanting a recovery disk so you can recover your Windows 98, correct?

Thanks, ***** ***** see what I have in my files for you.

Here you are: http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/98.html

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know

I don't need the windows disk. I need the dos files to start the computer from scratch. The names of the files on the Toshiba "Companion Diskette" are on the attached Word Document. These are all dated June 5, 1998. I hope they are attached, because there is no indication in this window that they are. If not, please let me know how to get the list to you.
One or more of these files are corrupted preventing the system initiating their installation on the new hard drive. Since I don't know which are corrupted, I need a complete replacement for the "Companion Diskette" that came with the computer. I have the Recovery/Backup CD Package which presumably contains Windows 98 originally loaded on the computer. If this is not the case, I assume the site you referenced above will suffice.

Typically how the computer would be repaired when the operating system does not boot up is using the Windows 98 disk and it will repair it. You keep your files by loading over it but keeping your files.

Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician
Thanks for your tips. They lead me to abandon the instruction manuals and just follow the instruction on the Recovery CD, i.e. insert the CD, hold the C key while turning the computer on. This worked, and Windows 98 was successfully installed. Working on getting the rest of my vintage software installed. If I had followed the right instructions, I could have avoided the expense of your very valuable help. Thanks again.
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician