Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I turned on the laptop this morning and noticed the VOLUME…

I turned on the laptop...
I turned on the laptop this morning and noticed the VOLUME icon was not on the Tool Bar. I clicked to show the Hidden Icons and did not see it. I did see the red Realtek HD Audio Manage icon and dragged it down to the Tool Bar. It is not what I want. What can I do to get my regular white Icon back for volume control? I have Windows 7, Mozilla/Firefox.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

Try this first:

- right-click anywhere on the taskbar,

- and choose Properties.

- go to the Taskbar tab, if it isn't there already.

- Then, you need to click on Customize under "Notification" area.

- In the Notification Area Icons dialog box, there are two things you have to check:

1: make sure the volume icon behavior is set to Show icon and notifications.

2: then click on link for Turn system icons On or Off

and make sure the Volume control is set to ON.

- Last, click on OK to close Properties and save the changed settings.

Does that get the Volume control icon back?

I did all you mentioned, but when I opened the "Turning the System Icons On/Off, I could not do anything with the Volume icon. It showed OFF, and I could not turn it on.

I'm sorry to hear that. Does your Windows 7 system still produce any sound, at any time, even a startup beep? or nothing at all ever?

If you wish I can try remotely connecting to your computer - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.

If you would rather not, then I can also instruct you toward a solution, somewhat more slowly.

Let me know which approach you would prefer, and I will help you as needed.

It does make a Start Up sound and we heard sound on videos. I would like to try your instructions first. I am Central ST, so going to bed now. Start the instructions as much as you can give and I will see what I can do. Thanks.
Have no idea what happened to the sound. Maybe we hit the wrong key or something?

That's odd. You may have a problem with your sound card or its drivers... but it's not 'broken', not totally, or you would not hear any sound period. Windows sounds and videos through video-players (apps or plug-ins) are obviously still functional through the sound card.

Search for

Adjust System Volume

and start that app. Check in all its various settings, for any 'Mute' checkboxes activated. Un-activate them (except for Microphone checkboxes which perhaps should be Mute.)

Let me know the result please. Thanks.

I just got back on the computer and find that the Volume icon is back on the Taskbar and working well. Have no idea why? So, no need to do what you just suggested. Thanks for your efforts. Maybe the first things you suggested did the trick, but it was a delayed response on the laptop. Anyway, I will rate you and count this as a fix. Thanks. Oops, the Stars do not light up. Cannot rate, yet .

OK, I have enabled the rating stars - thank you for mentioning it, and I hope I really did help and/or provided advice for the future - you see, the 'Search' then 'Adjust System Volume' should find the Volume Control app - and when it is opened, at least in older versions of Windows, the system tray also has the 'speaker' icon-let appear in it.... so that should fix it in the future.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

(And if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)

Russell H., Computer Support Specialist