Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My 2010 Toshiba Qosmio laptop got smashed hard between a…

My 2010 Toshiba Qosmio laptop...
My 2010 Toshiba Qosmio laptop got smashed hard between a heavy suitcase and a compartment door. I have 2 questions:1) even if everything works fine, is it possible that some internal component of the screen or computer could be damaged and leaking hazardous particles into the air, unbeknownst to me?2) what's the most toxic thing/component inside a laptop such as the Qosmio?
1/17/2018
bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User

1. Unlikely, as computer doesn't include chemical gas or liquid hence there is no leaking hazardous to air, except you it is burned because of shortened circuit.

2. Please see below article for your information. For details, please read the laptop's manual, it should be at the end in fine print.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/toxic-components-computers-monitors-69693.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. What about the LCD screen? It is liquid crystals.Other than the LCDs, every single component is metal and/or plastic?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read that many laptops contain arsenic as a component, or other heavy metals? And might the ventilation fan blow particles about?How likely is it that a computer screen could suffer internal damage but show no outward symptoms of it?

Liquid crystals is not liquid. Please see below safety info.

http://www.theliquidcrystals.com/faq/are-the-liquid-crystals-safe-to-take

> every single component is metal and/or plastic?

Generally speaking, yes. However, battery should be also considered. For laptop batteries, see below info.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/lithium_ion_safety_concerns

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. But if something causes internal damage, the ventilation fans would blow particles of cadmium/lead/heavy metals, etc. all into the surrounding air?
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician

Good evening, my name is ***** ***** I am your Professional Electronics Technician Expert.

The glass made on laptops are tempered so what this means is it keeps most of everything inside. As far as gas, it is a very small portion that if even it does leak out it is from the top very slowly.

When finished with your question, please give me a 5 Star Rating then click on the Submit Button so I will get credit for helping you or use the 'Reply' option to continue with your question until you have reached an answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks - so what might happen if someone pressed down an extremely heavy weight on a laptop? (that was kind of what happened to mine.) There is no visible sign of damage on the outside, but I haven't seen the inside components and the computer did behave a bit weirdly on log-in (like trying to resurrect some old Word documents, etc.)The Toshiba Qosmio is also an unusually big and heavy laptop. If something heavy (i.e., 50-90 pounds) pressed on it, which would be the first (internal) components to bend or break?

You're welcome. From all my experience, about 40 pounds of pressure will crack a screen. For bending other major components from something heavy being on it, it takes about 150+ pounds so usually it's just the screen.

What happens once the screen is cracked is the gases usually stay inside but once a instant crack happens you might have a little gas escape. There is not a lot of gas that is inside the screen if that is what you want to know. So it is safe, the manufactures have tested that just in case a screen cracks.

Can I help you getting the screen replaced or are those your only questions?

Your full 5 star feedback would be much appreciated.

Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician